We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proof of Recovery Covid Letter?

World
Level Contributor
95 posts
Proof of Recovery Covid Letter?

Hi. I'm an American that flew to Mexico earlier this month. I am planning to fly back to the US at the end of the month. When I first got here, I did not feel good and then got tested positive for covid. I then just isolated inside for pretty much most of my stay.

My concern is when I take the covid test the day before my flight, I might test positive which means I would not be able to fly. At the moment, I still did not book my flight yet but will have to soon. Someone else mentioned because I tested positive for covid within the last 90 days, assuming I don't have any symptoms right now, what I should do is go and see a local doctor in Mexico and get a proof of recovery letter that says I do not have symptoms and free to travel and that would work as oppose to getting a negative antigen test the day before my flight.

My question is who here has done this when going back to the US? And when you did this, did you pay a lot for the doctor visit and having him/her write you the letter? Because it seems like a less stressful way than waiting till the day before you fly back to test if you are negative or not. I also heard lot of people who test positive... after few weeks even if they have no symptom, could still test positive. Some others recommended that because I have a positive covid test from earlier this month, just get a doctor proof of recovery letter and have the positive covid test paper and that would be the ideal way to fly back to the US. Do most of you agree on this? Seems much less stressful but would this cost a lot of money? I did read online you could go to a local doctor office or do an online appointment on webmed on this that cost 75 dollars. I think the local doctor visit plus letter would probably cost more?

Can anyone give me advice here if you have done this?

Also all airlines will accept this right? Will be flying with either delta, jetblue or maybe american back to the US. Obviously the cost of this would be more than just waiting the day before and taking an antigen test but this would seem less stressful?

World
Level Contributor
95 posts
11. Re: Proof of Recovery Covid Letter?

I did not have covid while in the US. I was basically isolated for a long time while in the US. I did not feel sick or cough or anything like that while in the US.

I started to feel sick and not good a few days after arrival. I was just very tired when I first arrived. I didn't feel the symptoms until few days later.

I have been isolating myself here in Mexico for a while already. But I read its still possible to get tested positive weeks later which is why I ask if anyone here has done this proof of recovery covid letter and their experiences with it.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
71,677 posts
11 reviews
89 helpful votes
12. Re: Proof of Recovery Covid Letter?

'But I read its still possible to get tested positive weeks later which is why I ask if anyone here has done this proof of recovery covid letter and their experiences with it.' No two people will have the same experience with Sars-CoV-2, no two people's test results following infection will have the same time frame, and no one's experience with a letter of recovery will be the same should you obtain such a letter.

Prior to Omicron there was talk of PCR test sensitivity being scaled back to avoid positive tests for those who have recovered, but the 'you'll be positive for three months' chatter remains. Anecdotally, I think I had Omicron in November (three days of mild symptoms) - testing wasn't available - but in mid December I had had a negative lateral flow test and a negative NAAT.

'If my antigen test is negative now, don't I need to make sure I cannot get within 6 feet of anyone within this time frame before I leave?' That and wearing a mask as advised.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
53,249 posts
51 reviews
86 helpful votes
13. Re: Proof of Recovery Covid Letter?

<< But I read its still possible to get tested positive weeks later which is why I ask if anyone here has done this proof of recovery covid letter and their experiences with it. >>

Again, not with a rapid antigen test.

<< If my antigen test is negative now, don't I need to make sure I cannot get within 6 feet of anyone within this time frame before I leave >>

No, you need to take another just before departure to make sure you're sill negative and not infected again. If you are you cancel your flight and go back into isolation. The only way to be sure of staying 6' away from others is not go out basically. A good mask, not a surgical or cloth, will help protect you even if you get close to others, but there's nothing fool proof other than not going out anywhere where there are people.

World
Level Contributor
95 posts
14. Re: Proof of Recovery Covid Letter?

Okay but since I tested positive with an antigen test earlier this month, if I get a proof of recovery covid letter right now, does that mean I could still fly within a week or so? Or that only applies to PCR? That is when I'm planning to fly back. Again at the moment, my symptoms has gotten a lot better since earlier this month. But if I get a proof of recovery covid letter... does it need to be like a certain amount of days before my flight? For example if you get one right now... but your flight isn't till a week or more later, would that work? Again my positive covid antigen test was from earlier this month. Or does the proof of recovery letter must be like within three days of when you fly etc? All I know is the positive covid test and the proof of recovery letter need to be together within 90 days.

I been isolated pretty much my entire trip here in Mexico. You say the only way to make sure about this is to stay 6 feet away and basically not go out. I basically have stayed inside my entire trip to Mexico here already because of this. So because I tested positive earlier this month, I need to just not go out till the day before I leave?

I posted this on the other subforum and everyone had suggested because I already had a positive test this month and because I don't have much symptoms anymore... go get that proof of recovery as oppose to waiting till the last day before I fly because its still possible to test positive for covid even with no symptoms. So most of you disagree with the others then?

penna
Destination Expert
for Marrakech, Morocco
Level Contributor
35,936 posts
54 reviews
26 helpful votes
15. Re: Proof of Recovery Covid Letter?

I have no idea though why you fail to understand the advice many have already given you. It is very good advice.

The advice is to got get an antigen test tomorrow and if you test negative then get one before your flight and it should be negative unless you are once again infected with Covid.

If you test positive then go try and get this letter if it is possible and hope the USA accepts an antigen test as well as a PCR one.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
2 helpful votes
16. Re: Proof of Recovery Covid Letter?

"I been isolated pretty much my entire trip here in Mexico". Gee makes me wonder if it was worth it to even go on this trip. Especially when one opted to go unvaxxed, untested before departure and cannot afford the cost of extra tests or letters. Different strokes for different folks, but it wouldn't be my preference.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
17. Re: Proof of Recovery Covid Letter?

Jack P,

Contact Dr Juan with 24/7Medical services.

You can find his contact info on Facebook and message him or call.

He’ll need a copy of your positive test and passport and write a letter of recover for you.

We tested positive while here and going home tomorrow

18. Re: Proof of Recovery Covid Letter?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.