We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunwing Airlines

St. Albert, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sunwing Airlines

We flew Sunwing Airlines from Edmonton to Cancun on December 8 returning on December 15, 2007. What a crappy experience...

The plane we flew on was brand new, but the leg room was terrible. I am 5'10" and pity anybody over 6' tall. We were told in Cancun that the plane was too heavy and be were burning off fuel and driving around the Cancun airport for at lease 1.5 hours. The cabin crew on the way down were terrible. They were all snooty, and the passenger seemed to get in the way for them. Thanks for starting our vacation off right, Sunwing.

The flight home started right where Sunwing had left off. Although booked in advance, my girfriend and I were separated on the plane. She is a nervous flyer, so I talked to someone at the gate to change seats so we could sit together. They said NO. We boarded the plane and to our disappointment, it was the same crew as the ride down. I had the emergency window aisle, so the leg room improved drastically. The service was the same snooty service we had grown to expect on Sunwing. When they announced that the crew would change during our short stay in Calgary, some poeple on the plane cheered. After the flight crew changed and some passengers left the plane in Calgary, the new crew literally had to count the remaining passenger at least 30 times. They kept coming on the intercom and telling us not to move around the airplane. After another hour we were finally on our way to Edmonton. This experience has left me with 2 questions...

1. Does Sunwing know anything about customer service?

2. Does a Sunwing plane ever arrive on time?

DON'T FLY Sunwing Airlines UNLESS YOU HAVE TO.

British Columbia
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunwing Airlines

We flew Sunwing airlines Vancouver to Puerto Vallarta on Jan 13 2008 returning Jan 20 2008.

We booked our selves on a once in a life time trip as a family to Mexico. 10 adults and 10 kids. The trip was booked through our travel agent on Sunwing Airlines. Our scheduled departure was to to be 1:10pm so we arrived well in advance to make our way through security at Vancouver airport. Check in went fine and we proceeded directly through security to avoid long lines later. No sooner had we made it through security, we see on the Departure board that our flight is delayed 3 hours. Now we are stuck behind the secure area with no way to exit. Not much of an explanation is given by the Reps at the desks. It would have been nice to know that the flight was delayed before we went through security. We try to make the best of the delay only to find out that the flight has been delayed an additional 3 hours. 6 Hours total. Now instead of a 1:10pm departure we were set for a 7:10pm departure. Needless to say this a long time to wait for young children. As the Airplane arrives in Vancouver to fly us to Mexico it comes to light that there is no crew available to proceede with the flight. Another half hour wait. Very poor planning on Sunwing's part. The flight down to Mexico was an ordeal in itself, but that was not Sunwing's fault so I won't go into it. The stay at the Melia in Puerto Vallarta was a good experience with the family so we were ready to accept that the Flight down was an anomaly and everything would be fine on the way home. Not so much. First of all we were never able to be in contact with the local Sunwing Rep. despite our numerous attempts. There was a book at the concierge desk that gave details of our shuttle bus pickup time on Sunday (6:00pm) to take us to the Airport. We were packed and ready to go and waiting at the front with 20 people and all our bags, only no Bus is arriving to pick us up. We finally get a hold of the Sunwing Rep. Only to find out that the plane will have 2 hour delay. This is information that they knew already at 1:00pm, but failed to pass on to us. Delay after delay with no explanations. The bottom line is that I will never fly with Sunwing again and I will do my best to see that none of my friends (or enemies for that matter) fly with them either.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,626 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunwing Airlines

Sounds like a common charter experience. My first charter (Detroit to Vegas) ten years ago was my last. That is back when Sun Country still operated charters out of DTW. DC-10 with 10 across seating instead of the normal nine across. Horrible check-in lines. My flights were on time though.

Any time you fly such a small airline (9 planes per wikipedia) any disruption in schedule will ripple through for the rest of the day, or days. Delays will also put crews over their duty limits, and there will be no backup crew to continue since they are so small.

north of Toronto
Level Contributor
97 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunwing Airlines

I flew SunWing airlines out of Pearson on Jan 24th to Orlando Florida, the only reason I picked to fly sunwing was price. Firstly, not enough staff at check in (several flights were leaving at about the same time) so we were late getting through the line. Then we had to go through U.S. Immigration, the line up was long and we anticipated being late, so we asked to bump in line (which we were able to). Finally at gate and on board, but flight was late by 1 hour, due to lost luggage and after we were on board about 20 other people followed. I didn't buy the "lost luggage" I think that they just didn't staff enough and had to delay plane. Then on the flight home....Flight again was delayed 1 hour and at the airport bagggage claim the entire flight waited 1.5 hours for luggage to come up. We found a SunWing rep that was of no help at all. She kept feeding us "lines" and offered no consideration for our inconvenience. People missed rides home, and appointments. So unless you love hanging around airports and don't mind delay after delay and excuses that don't make sense, DO NOT FLY SUNWING. The cost of the flight was cheap, but not without an expensive time loss.

Mississauga
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunwing Airlines

We flew Sunwing to Orlando on Feb3.We paid for extra legroom and that was OK. However, the flight down was delayed 1 hr and the flight back was delayed 1.5 hrs.

When we got to TO no bags arrived for 2 hrs. Sunwing reps were useless. Finally someone threatened the reps with bodily harm and the bags mraculously began to appear. The lower fares on this airline are not worth the hassle.

5. Re: Sunwing Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2008, 00:23
Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunwing Airlines

Anyone who has flown Sunwing with a baby or those that may have noticed...were there diaper changing stations in the lavs? We are flying with a toddler to Dominican later this month. Based on the feedback posted here we are a bit worried!

north of Toronto
Level Contributor
97 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunwing Airlines

I didn't take note of the change area for infants in the lavatory, however based on Sun Wing's track record make sure you take extra changes because there will be a least a one hour delay before you even get off the ground both ways.

Canada
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunwing Airlines

Flew Sunwing Toronto to Cancun March 1-8. We were expecting a poor flight (discount airline/cheapest fair we could find/bad press out there/etc) but were pleasantly surprised. The in flight service was good - got meal service (which is better than AirCanada to Los Cabos last year when we got nothing not even water but you could buy a bottle for $5) Even got a bit of Champagne on the way down and everything - OK, it's a bit cheasy and wasn't exactly high end stuff but hey it's the thought that counts right?. Cabin crew were good (helpful, cheerful) and did a good job of handling some pretty good turbulence on the way out. I'm 6' and was comfortable in the seats (much, much better than an AirTransat flight to Ireland a couple of years ago and that was an 8 hour flight). It's obviously not 1st class but then again you get what you pay for so I don't understand how people can search for the cheapest flight they can possibly find and then complain about the legroom.

Only bad thing was they lost a piece of luggage on the way down and we had to wait 2 days to finally get it. Sunwing rep at our resort could have been more helpful, but he was bouncing around between probably 5 different resorts in a day and in the end there's not really much he can do anyway. Was also surprised that Sunwing offers a $50/day allowance for lost luggage so we were able to buy some stuff to tide us over until the luggage showed up Again, same thing happened with AirCanada last year to Los Cabos - lost a bag for 2 days but no allowance there. In the end, the baggage thing isn't Sunwing's fault anyway, but the lousy baggage handling system at Pearson's Terminal 1. After the $billions they sunk into that place you'd think they could offload luggage from a plane in less than an hour and a half. I've flown through that terminal 4 times in the last year and everyone I've compared notes with says the same thing. You are guaranteed to have at least an hours wait for your bags at that terminal - and that's AFTER clearing customs NOT landing time. The guys in Cancun almost have your bags unloaded before you're in the claim area (no union probably).

Return flight came into that nasty snow storm in TO on the 8th, so we were delayed an hour leaving Cancun in the morning.

So, contrary to the other posts, I'd fly Sunwing anytime, anywhere.

Mississauga
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunwing Airlines

To answer your question Cohiba2 Sunwing knows very little about customer service. I can send you a list of names of people who could vouch for that. Be grateful you weren't actually kept on the plane for 7-9 hours with no food, water, and backed up washrooms. That is the case of a few Sunwing flights. I was stuck in a terminal for 20 hours flying with Sunwing and missed a day of my paid vacation! So to answer your second question no they don't. And if they have that was pure luck! I agree I will also never fly Sunwing!

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunwing Airlines

Ice_Pryncezz

It's considered very bad form on these forums to revive old posts just to have a rant.

This really will destroy what little credibility you and your doppelganger had.