We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wet Passport

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
89 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Wet Passport

I have just got my passport wet, The laminated page with my photo is fine but the rest is water marked.

I live in Canada but i am a British citizen flying into the UK on the 15th May (no time to get new passport. Do think i will have problems getting through passport control.

I will take all other forms of ID

HELP

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wet Passport

Oops.

I should think that if the picture page is intact and is still machine readable, then you should be all right. However, it might be worth giving the British Consulate a call - 604 683 4421.

I can't find any info to indicate that a moistened and watermarked passport will not be valid for travel, but that doesn't mean some officious little jobsworth might not give you the gears at the sight of it.

Call, just to make sure. And good luck.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wet Passport

ips.gov.uk/passport/apply-replacing-what.asp

Have just read elsewhere, though, that if the film has lifted from the photo page, the passport will be regarded as damaged and possibly not acceptable for travel.

Again, good luck with your question, and I hope you don't need to get a replacement document tomorrow!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wet Passport

You should be OK if you get to UK IF the sealed page does not show tampering/delamination.

Your problem will be the jobsworth at check in who may not let you fly in case you are rejected in London and they get you back and a fine!

Check with the Airline but as you fly, we hope, in two days, you are stuck with the decision anyway unless you get the consulate to give you a note. Get on the phone now!

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
89 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wet Passport

I have already been over to the consult, they told me to take a chance, They cannot give a letter for this only Emergency or Death.

I have to leave it until the day, Hope that the Passport guy is a nice one.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wet Passport

I doubt you will have problems with Canadian Emigration or UK Immigration even if the machine readable isn't. They just key it in!

If it comes, your problem will be at the Airline Check In desk who may refuse to let you board.

good luck.

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
393 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wet Passport

It depends how bad off it looks. I recently forgot my passport in my back pocket of my pants when I washed them. All the stamps were gone, the front photo page was separated and watermarked, and the thing looked like the dog's breakfast. I could still travel with it. I would explain to the customs officer what happened and they all laughed it off. A more vigilant official in A'dam gave me a very slanted eyebrow and suggested I get myself to the nearest US embassy pronto. As I'm traveling back to the US this summer I bit the bullet and got a new biometric pass. It's horrible. There are pictures on every page of patriotic propaganda. I'm embarassed to be from a country with such a horrible passport.

You will probably have better luck if your passport still looks like a passport. If the cover is not flat anymore, iron it. Use a low setting and place it, closed, under a thick towel. A friend of mine finished a whole tour of South America and Europe after having reglued and ironed all the watermarked visas back in place!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,877 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wet Passport

I also got my passport wet causing some of the stamps to run and blacken some pages but leaving the ID page OK. Apart from one jobsworth (when I was entering Canada actually but you get them everywhere) nobody has made an issue of it or even mentioned it at all.

Good luck!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
370 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wet Passport

We have a reality tv show here in Australia called Border Security and a few times I have seen passengers passports being scrutinised for shoddy looking passports, customs officers called be quite fussy on the condition of them and have seen people being questioned and even one passenger have his records checked officially and sent back home.

They may not be as fussy elsewhere but I know that they are in the US too.

If and when you do get a new passport I would recommend keeping it in the plastic sleeve if one is provided ( they are in OZ) at least if you have an accident it will get some protection, I am sure taking other forms of ID is a good idea.

9. Re: Wet Passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 07:23