We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vayama

Connecticut
14 posts
Save Topic
Vayama

Has anyone had recent experience with Vayama? I need to book a multi-destination trip from New york to Japan to Seoul to New York. Prices are very reasonable but posts from a year ago are troublesome.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: Vayama

$100 of the $300 cancellation fees was from Vayama. They have their own cancellation fee on top of what the airlines charge. In any case, it's bad business.

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
72. Re: Vayama

CAGirl - Why is it bad business for Vayama to charge a $100 service fee for services we are actually performing on our customers behalf, while the airline charges a $200 penalty (in your case) for no service at all?

Check around....the airlines charge extremely high penalties for changes/cancellations associated with International air travel, whether you book directly through them or a third party.

Regards,

David

Vayama Customer Relations Manager

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Vayama

"$100 of the $300 cancellation fees was from Vayama. They have their own cancellation fee on top of what the airlines charge."

Which is clearly stated on their website. If you don't like it you shouldn't have booked with them. So as I said, another groundless complaint.

Edited: 16 November 2011, 15:37
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Vayama

Got to agree Lex, whilst I haven't used Vayama, and like you, likely never will, I can't ever recall seeing such a bunch of whiny messages about a company, all from people complaining when the Ts&Cs **which are an integral part of their booking** and **which they agreed to**, are enacted?

CAGirl, If you thought $100 was too much and "bad business", why on earth did you book with Vayama in the first place? You got, I presume a low price you were happy with, but one of the usual trade offs for a low price is usually high price to change or cancel. Or did you think there was such a thing as a free lunch?

Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Vayama

I like the way the Customer Relations person arrogantly responds to a customers complaint/concern. Fact of the matter is that Vayama sucks big time. Their customer service agents barely speak english, they give you the run around when you cancel and try to get a refund and generally make you feel like you've been robbed!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Vayama

'... they give you the run around when you cancel and try to get a refund ...' Could this perhaps be because you / a friend / family member booked a non-refundable ticket?

Vayama - and I do not work for the company - acts solely as an agent for the airline. The fare rules are those of the airline, and usually non-refundable means just that. Some airlines may allow reticketing for the same routing, with a service fee and any difference in fares charged.

Agreeing to purchase through Vayama means you will have agreed to the airline's rules when you pressed the Buy Now button. The Terms and Conditions of ticket purchase are always available - and before buying one usually has to tick a box to indicate that they've been read and understood.

Not reading the T&Cs isn't the fault of the third party agent but of the person who failed to do so before agreeing the contract.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Vayama

<<Their customer service agents barely speak english>>

One of the common downsides of using a low cost operation.

<<they give you the run around when you cancel and try to get a refund>>

Probably because the Ts&Cs of your ticket don't allow that in the first place but you, not having read or understood this, think you are being unfairly treated.

Like other posters here you are wanting caviar when paying for peanut butter.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Vayama

"they give you the run around when you cancel and try to get a refund and generally make you feel like you've been robbed!"

Let me guess, your ticket was non-refundable?

Ridgefield...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: Vayama

Avoid these guys like the plague - they are terrible.

I booked a flight with them from New York to Curacao. We had a connection through Charlotte, US Air connecting to Insel Air. I booked my travel in September 2011 for December 2011 travel.

1. Insel Air advanced their flight time by an hour and we would not have made the connection. Not sure when the change was made, but no one communicated with me - not the airline, neither Vayama. I happened to call Vayama with a question on baggage allowance and then they told me - 5 days before travel date

2. My nightmare started then - First contact with Vayama on Sunday; 24 hours later on Monday - still no action. I called and after spending 15 minutes explaining everything, they sent me an email with a revised schedule for my confirmation. I confirmed instantly via email and also called them for good measure and they said they we will ticket it with the airline.

3. 12 Hours later, Monday night now - still no action. I called them again, another 15 minutes explaining the case - no one had done anything. After being on hold with them for an hour, they told me that someone had cancelled one leg of the journey my mistake. They said they will take another 12 hours to rectify.

4. Next morning - Tuesday they said everything was ticketed and I was all set.

5. Two days before travel, Thursday - I went to US Air website to make seat selections and saw the reservation was gone. I called US Air - they informed me that Vayama had deleted the New York - Charlotte leg of my travel in error. After some help from US Air - I was able to get the ticket reinstated.

6. Thursday night, Vayama calls me and says that they were waiting on me to confirm my ticket. I told them that I had checked with both airlines - my tickets were confirmed, I had even made my seat selections. I begged with them to leave my reservation alone, I was so scared that they will go in and screw something up.

I had so much heartache over a pre-planned family vacation - it is unbelievable

Vayama is a combination of poor training, incompetence and just overall cluelessness. DO NOT USE THEM --- EVER

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: Vayama

I guess you have learned that cutting out the middleman makes dealing with these problems much easier. I book directly with the airline 90% of the time, and they never notify me of schedule changes. Always check your reservations on a regular basis.

At least it was right in the end.

Edited: 04 January 2012, 11:48