We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spur of the moment travel

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
29 reviews
Spur of the moment travel

What is the best site to book spontaneous travel? Aren't there sites that post last minute vacancies at a reduced cost? Just trying to get more bang out of my buck!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
1. Re: Spur of the moment travel

Are you asking about air fare? There are no last minute bargains there. You'll be paying walk up fare; usually the most expensive.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,833 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Spur of the moment travel

Are you asking about air fare? There are no last minute bargains there. You'll be paying walk up fare; usually the most expensive.

For the most part yes, but not always. A few years back I booked last minute (6hrs before the flight departed) tickets from London to Dublin and back on BA for about £90. Was dumb luck and bought almost for the novelty of getting such a cheap deal at the last minute.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
3. Re: Spur of the moment travel

Some airlines will let you sign up for e-mail alerts for last minute fares. Basically they e-mail you on Wednesday telling you what the cheap flights are for the upcoming weekend. Check the websites of the carriers at your airport to see what they might offer.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Spur of the moment travel

You need to be very VERY flexible.....check hotels/airfare constantly (it helps to have a GOOD travel agent)...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,833 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Spur of the moment travel

Check the airlines' websites as well. If flights aren't full the fares may drop substantially, with the view that 'any bum on a seat is better than no bum on a seat' kind of fare available.

Depends on where you'd like to go and when, but you may find similarly deeply discounted fares from a week or two before your travel date as well as at T-72 - 24h before departure.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
35,110 posts
1 review
6. Re: Spur of the moment travel

"If flights aren't full the fares may drop substantially, with the view that 'any bum on a seat is better than no bum on a seat' kind of fare available. "

Or they may decide that anyone who wants to travel at short notice is desperate to pay anything.

The only flights where you often get last minute discounts are charter flights - though in many cases that will get you just the flight and not meals, entertainment, luggage allowance or transfers from the destination airport. In the past they have also charged for airport collection of tickets though this is unlikely now with e-ticketing

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: Spur of the moment travel

Thank you all for the tips. Air Travel was exactly what I was wondering about., and you all had great ideas. I work in a semi-flexible enviroment, so I am going to try and take advantage of some of these deals since my New Year's resolution is to get out more! Happy New Year!

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,692 posts
85 reviews
8. Re: Spur of the moment travel

www.lastminute.com

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: Spur of the moment travel

Yeah baby, now that is what I am talking about. I gonna have to send a big Texas Howdy to ya, Thanks Partner!!!

10. Re: Spur of the moment travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2011, 00:16