We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air New Zealand

Los Angeles...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Air New Zealand

Flight from Auckland to LA was the worst flight we have ever taken. The airline failed to honor seat requests, were totally uncooperative with seat reassignment when seats were available, and the seats were the the most crowded together we have ever experienced (on their "new plane" no less). The seat in front of you reclines so extremely that you cannot get out of your own seat. Also, the food was terrible, they ran out of main selections on every leg of our trip.

Unhappy travelers

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Air New Zealand

I flew on AA from ORD-DUB on a 757. I had to do the "limbo" to get out of my seat, when the guy in front of me reclined.

In 1973, I flew from JFK to Rome in a Boeing 707. I could swear that I had a lot more legroom on that old plane.

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,162 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Air New Zealand

One thing that was good on the flights, was the film safety demonstration which got everyone's attention...made me laugh

Perth
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Air New Zealand

I have booked Air New Zealand flights from Auckland to LA and have lashed out to get the new sky couches because they were the same price as flying with Qantas in economy. Has anyone experienced the sky couches and if so, did they think it was worth the extra cost. A bit too late for me anyway 'cause I've already paid but I would still be interested in hearing a real review...

I have read you get all hot and sweaty for the WRONG reasons - it's simply hot not from excitement from spooning your partners...

Edited: 07 February 2012, 09:48
brisbane
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Air New Zealand

hi we are looking at flying to los angeles with air new zealand, has anybody done this flight & can tell me what they thought, also do you get meals, entertainment, etc with econmoy flights??? thanks

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Air New Zealand

Hi luvholidaysPerth and shazzaa,

I have chatted with PM with a lady (Rachel) who flew Air NZ last November with the sky couches. She was flying with her husband and their twins who were 5 years old at the time. She's only 153cm tall but was also 6 months' pregnant.

This is what Rachel said:

"Ideally I think the sky couch is best suited to one adult on their own or one adult with one child or two children together. I think two normal sized adults would feel a little cramped, and as you mentioned, height is definitely a factor. I'm around 153cm tall and I could just stretch out comfortably with perhaps a few extra cms. What I think was more of an issue is that the couch is quite narrow, so you need to be quite 'cuddled up' with whoever you are sharing with. I should mention that I was 6.5 months pregnant when we travelled so I definitely had some extra girth!"

I am tempted to try the skycouch coming back from the US and July but I am only 5'2" (157cm) and my husband 5'5" (165cm) so we may be OK.

From what I've read it really depends on how tall and how big you are, but I suspect it would be better to have the three seats on the side of the plane than be in the 4 seats in the middle.

Keep in mind that total length of the three seats together is only about 5'1" (around 156cm) and that since the economy configuration is 3-4-3 the aisles are narrower so if you accidentally hang your feet in the aisle they're going to cop a battering.

I think I'm prepared to spend the money to try it and if it's not much better (or, God forbid, worse) than regular economy MEL-SFO on the old config, I'll stick with that.

Anyone have any idea of whether Air NZ is planning to upgrade the planes flying AKL-SFO to the same as AKL-LAX? Just curious.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Air New Zealand

We too have just had the 'trip from hell' on Air NZ Auckland to LAX. Air NZ have totally boobed with their cramped seating in their 777-300. SO uncomfortable - if the person in the row in front reclines their seat their seat is a matter of inches from your face The aisles are so narrow it is barely possible to walk down with a cabin bag - not sure what would happen in the event of an emergency ..... Not to mention that there is not enough elbow room to even eat the meal comfortably - We had to resort to picking up the dish and holding it near our mouth and scooping the food - ghastly !!! We were shattered on arrival in LA which actually ruined the first couple of days of our holiday with our family as we were so tired. We are dreading the flight back in a few days. Worst flight we have ever had - and we have travelled extensively all over the world.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Air New Zealand

gotta love necroposting.

the op is over 2 years old

#15 well over a year old.

how hard is it to notice this and start a new thread esp if it is an anti airline rant.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Air New Zealand

Seat requests tbh are just that - requests.

Airlines never guarantee you a seat choice in any case.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Air New Zealand

If it saves anyone else from enduring a flight like we did it is well worth it - too bad if the op is over 2 years old - you got nothing better to do other than to be nasty Bawley Point ???

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Air New Zealand

No airline will guarantee a seat allocation - so dont blame Air NZ for this - they have lost the great reputation they had