We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oman Air- Disgraceful service

Hollesley, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Oman Air- Disgraceful service

My wife and I have travelled on most Middle Eastern Airways in our 15 years of flying to India. This year we used Oman Air for the first time. Our experiences were horrendous to say the least, poor service, rude aircrew, uncaring attitude etc etc. I have lodged a complaint with the airline but have received no response as yet. I would be interested to know if anyone else has had troubles with this airline?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oman Air- Disgraceful service

You don't specify exactly how your experiences were horrendous...

Hollesley, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oman Air- Disgraceful service

I was going to hold up on exact occurrences until i heard from the airline. What i will say is that we were made to wait for food, then given other than what we asked for, were told than we were not permitted to have any wine with our meal, accused of being 'drunken' passengers!! (we are occasional drinkers only and then only one or two, so this hurt) When chief steward intervened we were showered with gifts to placate us but the damage had been done. Food awful, service as described, toilets and plane absolutely filthy, pools of water in the toilets, blocked, smelly. A total disaster. Over 200 flights over 15 years with numerous airline and this was far and away the worst experience. I would be very interested to know if anyone else had anything like these experiences with this airline.

Broadstairs, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oman Air- Disgraceful service

So let me say I can assume that I see from the brief information provided what the problem was: an FA has (rightly or wrongly) accused you of being drunk (having had enough alcohol or similar) while you were ordering extra wine for your dinner. At the time you had not obviously considered yourself as drunk and therefore took an offence to this "suggestion" from the FA involved and the situation escalated into a conflict. Now you've complained to the airline and waiting for a resolution (rightly so). Now, apart from that, there was really nothing wrong with the flight, was there and you probably wouldn't have complained otherwise? Remember, while the particular situation was unpleasant you can always come across an inconsiderate FA (if that indeed was the case) on any airline!

Hollesley, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oman Air- Disgraceful service

You have made rather sweeping assumptions about the situation by even intimating that the airline may have been correct in deeming my wife and I as having had too much to drink. The definition of the air stewardess was unequivocal inasmuch as she descibed us as 'drunken passengers' when we had only consumed one single small drink and had had nothing prior to this drink of any alcoholic nature. There could not have been any doubt whatsoever that we were not in any way, shape or form under the influence of alcohol. The toilets were filthy, blocked and smelly. Apart from horrible food, rude service and dirty toilets, the flight was fine.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,623 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oman Air- Disgraceful service

Hi,

The alcohol issue is a tough one.. The regulations give the crew the absolute and final discretionary 'call' to stop serving someone *if* they reasonably believe that the person is under the influence *or* will pose a risk to safety or security..

The thing that makes this issue difficult on the aircraft is that unlike a typical case of a potential drunken person on the ground, the crew doesn't have the capability to measure objectively nor is their any empirical testing options available.. So, there is a fair bit of discretion and subjectivity in the matter.

To this end, none of us where there to see exactly who did what, what the crew saw or did not see, how the OP acted or didn't act.. and we have only the OP's accounting of the situation.. This is *not* to say the OP is not being honest or has given only a partial accounting-- only that we are in fact hearing only one side of the accounting.

Is it possible the crew was wrong or over-reacted? Absolutely. It is a possibility.. Conversely, it is possible the OP was in fact drunk *or* demonstrated behaviors the crew deemed unsafe? Again, yes it is possible.. and for good measure it could have been a combination of both..

That said, given the fact that the regulators give the final and absolute discretionary call over the serving of alcohol to the on-duty crew, they had the right to stop serving.. but, regardless if they were cut off or not, I do think it needs to be handled in a professional and courteous manner.. so, if that didn't happen, then I do think the OP has a valid issue there..

The bathroom issue is a little different.. I'd ask if the bathroom was not cleaned *prior* to departure then absolutely, it needs to be address by Oman Air.. On the other hand, if the bathroom was "soiled" by passenger use after departure, well then I can't entirely fault Oman for that.. We're not getting specfics of what this "filthy" actually was-- but commonly it's a combination of bodily fluids and solid waste and gray-water spillage.

There are some ways for the crew to mitigate these problem, but since lavatory issues generally involve materials that can carry bacteria and other potentially dangerous infectious pathogens, many airlines restrict what they mandate their crews to do.. So, depending on the severity, it just may be that the right thing to do was to "lock it out" until arrival.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 18 March 2011, 09:54
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oman Air- Disgraceful service

<<You have made rather sweeping assumptions about the situation >>

..... necessitated by the inadequate info you provided, and even that had to be dragged out of you.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oman Air- Disgraceful service

Please could you advise us of the flight details and cabin class. I have flown Oman Air on internal and international flights and my experience, and those of many reviews on airlinequality , are positive.

Your comments on Muscat and Kovalam airports on another forum certainly indicate that you have an eye for detail and you seem to have a grim experience on the flight but more detail is needed-on which sector was the problem?

Edited: 18 March 2011, 14:14
England, United...
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oman Air- Disgraceful service

As you posted in response to a review on 07/10/2010, "Vote with your feet and book elsewhere next time!

Nuff said I think !

Hollesley, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oman Air- Disgraceful service

I agree, Nuff said. I know waht happened to us on Oman air, all the other comments are mere conjecture, and really do not change the FACTS. OK back to sleep now.

Hollesley, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oman Air- Disgraceful service

One more thing before I sign off. My comments were meant as a helpful guide to would be travellers on Oman Air to be aware of MY problems. I assumed that this forum was intended for that purpose. If I had thought that it would be a springboard for daft critical replies I would never have tried to warn travellers in the first place. I will know to be more wary of the type of replies I am likely to receive in the future. Amazing!