We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

souvenir pins in carryon?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
227 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
souvenir pins in carryon?

hello everyone,

i was just wondering if anyone has taken souvenir pins in their carryon bags. my husband and i aren't planning on checking in any luggage, but i wanted to buy a few souvenir pins on our upcoming trip. would this be an issue? i've had a small snowglobe confiscated before, so i just want to make sure i don't lose anymore souvenirs. :P

thank you for your help. :)

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,787 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: souvenir pins in carryon?

I would have expected these to be ok (subject to the size of the pin) - they do not appear on the list of items prohibited by the TSA although you could come across a particularly over zealous TSA employee at any time.

tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permi…

TomC

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: souvenir pins in carryon?

I also think if they are the typical type of pins, smallish, they will be okay. The snow globe contains water so that could be why that was confiscated.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,787 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: souvenir pins in carryon?

Snow globes are secifically mentioned as prohibited items... though I do have a snowglobe mouse for my computer that has never gotten attention.

Pins should make it just fine.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
227 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: souvenir pins in carryon?

thank you everyone for your responses. i may just buy a pin or two and see how it goes. maybe magnets are the way to go. :P

Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: souvenir pins in carryon?

Many pins have posts similar to pierced earrings. I always carry those with no problem.

Good luck!

6. Re: souvenir pins in carryon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 16:17