We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of excess buggage for Emirates or Swiss airline?

London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Cost of excess buggage for Emirates or Swiss airline?

I am flying from London to Hong Kong. Does anyone know how much it cost if I want to purchase an extra 23kg buggage for Emirates or Swiss airline?

I used to fly BA or New Zealand airline which cost £30-35 for one extra 23kg buggage. But flight tickets are way too expensive this year so need to take indirect flight.

Thanks a lot!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,427 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of excess buggage for Emirates or Swiss airline?

Did you already check the website of these companies for this information?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,816 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of excess buggage for Emirates or Swiss airline?

Emirates extra charges here

emirates.com/english/plan_book/essential_inf…

Also remember you get more luggage allowence with EK, 30kg Economy, 40kg Business.

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of excess buggage for Emirates or Swiss airline?

So Emirates Airline will cost £700 and Swiss Airline will cost £1,150....

It's more expensive than buying another ticket!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,816 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of excess buggage for Emirates or Swiss airline?

The cost for EK at £700 for an extra 23kg surprised me, I would not pay it myself (and who would!!??) and dont know how they can justify it when BA are charging £34 for another bag of 23kg and Air New Zealand at £39 for the same.

May worth looking at the other flight prices again, or just try and stick to 30kg with EK.

DUS
Level Contributor
518 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of excess buggage for Emirates or Swiss airline?

If bringing your excess luggage is that important, and can't avoid the costs, I would rather spend the damage on a class upgrade. [e.g.: Air France Premium Voyager Class allowes 2 x 23 kg, has flights in August 2011 LHR-HKG via 1-2 hrs CDG layover for £1240]

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,286 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of excess buggage for Emirates or Swiss airline?

Hi,

As a general rule, if you're speaking to excess baggage charges- the most expensive method of calculation is in fact the oldest one.. It's still used by many airlines, but you do see many airlines moving away from it to the the newer "per-piece" of calculating excess charges..

The older method is to charge the passenger 1% of the full-fare economy rate ticket for EACH kilo (or unit of weight) over the allowable..

While 1% doesn't sound like a lot-- and it's not as a percentage basis-- but do remember that it's 1% based off the FULL fare ticket price and NOT your specific ticket price.. Full fare tickets can easily be 3x or more expensive than the lower(est) fares that many if not most people travel on..

So while it might be only "1%" it will be be 1% of a rather high figure-- and it's PER each kilo (or other unit of weight, like pound) over your allowable..

So it's very possible to end up with a VERY expensive overage bill..

Again, not all airlines use this model-- more and more airlines are migrating to a per-piece overage pricing matrix or using some distance-based method to calculate overages.. but you will still find a fair number of airlines who still use this older per-klio method.. and in most all cases, it will be THE most expensive method out there.

Travel Safe,

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,992 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of excess buggage for Emirates or Swiss airline?

I don't think BA actually bother to enforce the overweight luggage charges. They say that it's free up to 23kg, you then have to pay a charge for between 23kg and 32kg.

The last few trips to the UK I've taken the wife and I have packed into one case and it's been quite a bit over the 23kg and nobody has said anything. Most recently was last week, although it's been the same on the last 6 or so trips we've taken with the bag in that state.

DUS
Level Contributor
518 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of excess buggage for Emirates or Swiss airline?

Sounds fair. But not sure what BA will do with a full weight extra piece.

Their baggage policy says, you may check-in up to 10 extra pieces - for an extra charge of £77 online / £90 airport rate per piece. Each piece must not exceed 23 kg.

Nevermind, given BA's higher take-off rate, you end up only some £150 cheaper than Premium Eco with other carriers. Worth thinking about it?

Angeles City...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of excess buggage for Emirates or Swiss airline?

how much you charge my excess just only 6kilos

Angeles City...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of excess buggage for Emirates or Swiss airline?

i hav e one lauges only total i have 26 kilos. i have excess 6 kilos

i wanted know how much i will pay

my flieght is tommorrow

zurich to singapore classe economy just only 20kilos

11.45 lx4310