We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I take frozen food in my carry-on?

Santa Fe
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Can I take frozen food in my carry-on?

I need to take tamales and green chile for a visit to the midwest. Can I take them in my carry-on if they are frozen?

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,820 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I take frozen food in my carry-on?

we have both in the midwest

hehe

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I take frozen food in my carry-on?

We've taken frozen food, but only from Corpus Christi to Dallas. We were stopped, but after a search, we were good. May have been all of the aluminum fool going through the machines. :)

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,820 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I take frozen food in my carry-on?

NO foil!!

plastic containers

why in the world would you fly food from CC to Dallas? Just really curious after reading that!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I take frozen food in my carry-on?

Why would you freeze homemade tamales??

Santa Fe
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I take frozen food in my carry-on?

To take them on the plane!!!! I need to take 2 dozen. A friend told me you can only take that much carry-on food if it's frozen.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,820 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I take frozen food in my carry-on?

since when is there a limit to the # of tamales for carry-on? you should be able to fill a whole carry-on bag--just not in foil

Have you ever looked at the TSA website?

PS--can't you make them when you arrive? we do sell all the components in our major grocery stores--we even have some small stores that carry specailty ingredients--even here in Kentucky! I have 2 within 4 miles of my house.

Meijer stores have a HUGE Hispanic department in the produce area--oodles of peppers, wrappers, beans--lots of goodies....

Meijer.com

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I take frozen food in my carry-on?

I've schlepped fresh (definitely not frozen) flour tortillas in my rollaboard on transborder flights without a peep from airport Security. The tamales shouldn't present a problem to Security on your trip.

But if you want to take a tub of green chile don't put it in your hand baggage; it won't be allowed as a liquid, contraindicated in the War Against Hand Cream. Freeze it, wrap the tub in newspaper, plastic bag and a couple of old T shirts and put it in your checked bag.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,820 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I take frozen food in my carry-on?

OP is not talking about taking tortillas--anyone can take them, as well as bread products and the like--she wants to take filled tamales. I have no idea what sort of green chile she wants to take--did she mention a tub of anything? not thqat I recall. No clue why she thinks there is a limit of 2 dozen of anything--this is domestic US travel...

Even frozen, green chile tub would be permissable as it would be SOILD

Edited: 24 July 2011, 20:52
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I take frozen food in my carry-on?

Kyshel...

I can't remember if it was in foil or not, honestly. It was a couple of years ago. We were visiting my in laws. They make way too much food when we visit, and since the flight is short, we just take some on.

Regardless if we fly or drive, we always come home with food. They insist, and I dont like telling mom and dad 'no.'

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I take frozen food in my carry-on?

I thought the only time you would have a prob with tamales is if you were bringing them into the USA because you are not supposed to bring in meat .

IF you start out here then I am not aware of any rule against it.

There is no rule about how much food you can carry on a plane.