We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston - Labor Day Weekend

New York, NY
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Charleston - Labor Day Weekend

Hi all,

My mom and I have been trying to plan a trip to Charleston, SC over Labor Day and I've been watching the airfare very closely for months now. The tickets from Chicago and NYC to Charleston are super expensive (ranging from $600-$1,000). Does anyone know why or if there is some big event going on that weekend?

Thanks!

Nicole

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleston - Labor Day Weekend

You have waited far too long to purchase your tickets! Most fares have restrictions associated with them (such as must purchase 21 days in advance, etc.), and the cheapest fares sell out first and have the most restrictions.

The price will do nothing but go up; you are less than 14 days away from this weekend.

Edited: 23 August 2011, 11:50
New York, NY
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston - Labor Day Weekend

I have been looking at tickets for about 5 months now and they have been the same the entire time! Thanks though. Nicole

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston - Labor Day Weekend

Yes, it's a holiday weekend. That pesky "supply and demand" also figures in.

I don't know where you are searching for fares, but look at US, I see fares around $423 from JFK and $359 from ORD.

Edited: 23 August 2011, 12:01
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,655 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston - Labor Day Weekend

So sorry this happened to you. As a regular on the Charleston forum, I know you were looking forward to this trip and that you have been planning it for several months, with questions about your accommodations. I wish we had known your exact September dates so we could advise about the airfare issue!

The problem is supply and demand, especially if you are traveling on an inflexible schedule, for the holiday weekend itself. If you can be flexible about your arrival and departure dates, you will probably find better fares.

Labor Day is a VERY popular late summer weekend in the Charleston area for both locals and visitors. The mid-summer crowds and the August humidity are gone. The sun is still strong, but the nights are cooler. People who are not constrained by school schedules often choose early September for their beach, golf, and touring breaks. Also, those with school schedules beginning after Labor Day, sometimes extend their August vacations into the holiday weekend.

5. Re: Charleston - Labor Day Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 18:18