We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight stop advice please

Gainsborough...
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight stop advice please

I am flying Auckland to London with an overnight stop in Seoul. Both flights are with Korean Airline and am checking into the airport hotel in Seoul.

My question is that as I am leaving the airport will I have to collect my luggage and take it with me overnight and check it back in the next day, or as it is basically the same flight with the same airline will my luggage just be transferred onto the second flight, even though it is several hours later?

thank you

uk
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight stop advice please

My understanding is that you can have it either way.

I'm assuming it is a single ticket so at check in you can ask for your bags to be checked straight to Auckland or just to Seoul.

If you you check them straight to NZ, consider that they will be stored at the airport overnight which can increase the chance of then not making the flight the next day.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,162 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight stop advice please

Yes you're correct. You have a choice on hat to do. Me personally, I would take my luggage with me.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight stop advice please

If it was me,I would make life simple for the airline and check my bag to Seoul,collect it and take it to the airport hotel.Next day I would return and check it to Auckland.As Geordie pointed out,not necessary,but that way I would have more idea where my bag was.Connections are one place where bags occassionally get lost.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight stop advice please

"Next day I would return and check it to Auckland"

so the op would arrive in london with no bag...not such a good recommendation i fear.

Gainsborough...
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight stop advice please

Thanks for all the replies folks. There is just one complication that makes it necessary for me to not check out my luggage on the stop-over in Seoul.

I am visiting some nice wineries and intend bringing back my full UK allowance. I think this would be a problem if I tried taking it through customs at Seoul as I believe their alcohol allowance is tiny.

If someone knows better or has a way round this I would be very grateful for the advice.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight stop advice please

You are correct Lien.Pay attention Pike!

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight stop advice please

I followed the instructions of the headline and gave no advice overnight. I hope it made a difference. ;-)

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight stop advice please

GeoMedic.

Your mischievous statement highlights the necessity of correct punctuation.

I have previously pointed out various spelling , punctuation or grammatical errors often found on these forums, and have usually been admonished for so doing.

If you don't spell or punctuate properly, quite often the meaning of a post can be misunderstood.

In the following, the position of the comma will be very important to one of the people mentioned.

Shoot the captain, on no account shoot the mascot.

Shoot the captain on no account, shoot the mascot.

Lesson over.

Park.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight stop advice please

Correction, I should have said 'sermon over'

Also, it sounded as though I was preaching to GeoMedic - I obviously wasn't

Park.

Garden Bay, Canada