We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra letter in first name on BA E Ticket

Amesbury, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Extra letter in first name on BA E Ticket

Hi

Am travelling from London - JFK with BA on 14th October, have just received paperwork and printed e tickets, however my partner has her first name spelt as "Sharron". The name shoud read "Sharon", so there is an extra "r" in the first name,the remainder of the details are correct

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,466 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extra letter in first name on BA E Ticket

Hi,

While it's always best to have your name on your ticket match your national ID in every particular, I suspect this won't be an issue..

I would call BA before travel and see if it can be corrected.. some airlines can or will do this in cased where there is a compelling case of 'clerical error' in the name.. not all do, but some will.. if BA says no or wants to charge you (which any changes to a ticket does commonly trigger a fee) then I'd ask them to "note" this issue on your reservation-- formally called your PNR or Passenger Name Record.

That way, if, on the off-chance you're asked about it at check-in, you can explain what the matter is and that you did attempt to correct it..

Lastly, if BA made the error then I'd expect them to fix it.. but commonly you need to point this out to them ASAP once you get your confirmation and not days/weeks later.. same general thinking if it was an agent..

If *you* made the error, then unfortunately, you're kind of at the mercy of the airline.. I will say that odds it will be made an issue of are less than 10%, but again, by rights a person named Sharron is in fact different that Sharon.

Travel Safe,

Amesbury, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extra letter in first name on BA E Ticket

Thanks for the reply, I am not certain whose mistake it is, it was a holiday that my parents have won for 4 people and so was booked by them.

I will ask them to contact BA and check if they can remove the extra letter. I will keep you updated on progress.

Thanks again

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
39 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extra letter in first name on BA E Ticket

Hi if this booking was made online than technically this was your error, sorry. BA do allow for small mistakes in the spelling of a name, however, as your travelling to the US this rule does not apply. When you contact the call centre you will be strongly advised to change this error. An administration charge of

£30 will apply. This charge must be paid

by the original credit card holder of the booking. So the best idea would be to get them to call. Hope this helps.

Edited: 05 October 2011, 17:22
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
39 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extra letter in first name on BA E Ticket

Sorry just noticed there're two spelling mistakes in my own reply - terrible!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,075 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extra letter in first name on BA E Ticket

£60 please, Emma!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
39 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extra letter in first name on BA E Ticket

I know shame on me!!

Amesbury, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Extra letter in first name on BA E Ticket

Thanks for the replies, I will ask my parents to contact them. The booking was made by a travel agents, however I am not certain if my parents gave the wrong info.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
39 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Extra letter in first name on BA E Ticket

If it's a travel agency booking then BA won't be able to make the correction for you. You'll need to contact the travel agency instead.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,809 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Extra letter in first name on BA E Ticket

One would presume that your parents knew your name.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Extra letter in first name on BA E Ticket

A "typo" is one of the easiest errrors to make and usually spotted just after you press "send" / "ok" / "confirmed".

Not always easy to see even when triple checked.

Errrors indeed!