We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick North - Hotel night before & train time on return

SW England
Level Contributor
275 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick North - Hotel night before & train time on return

We are flying from Gatwick North in April.

Going out

We can get a lift to close to the airport. Looks like we could get a room for £10 at a Travelodge. We are happy to walk a few hundred yards with our luggage. How far is the walk to the terminal from the Travelodge? I think Gatwick Central is the closest.

Return

Will come back via train.

Our flight from Vietnam is due to land at 7.20am and we are thinking of booking a train that departs at 9.07am. Roughly how long should it take from touchdown to clear passport control, collect our baggage and get to the station?

SW England
Level Contributor
275 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick North - Hotel night before & train time on return

Should have explained the reason for specifying the 9.07. We are travelling back down to Exeter. The 9.07 would take us to Reading where we catch the Exeter connection.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,511 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick North - Hotel night before & train time on return

You should be able to do that in under an hour. I usually do whenever I transit LGW North...which is often.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,511 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick North - Hotel night before & train time on return

BTW, I can't comment on the distance of the Travelodge, but I usually stay at Premier Inn Gatwick Airport Central and this is just a few minutes from the North Terminal by foot. If I have a lot of luggage I usually take the hotel shuttle bus which whisks around the area 2-3 times an hour.

SW England
Level Contributor
275 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick North - Hotel night before & train time on return

Thank you for the replies

Have booked the Travelodge while it is cheap

Will probably book the 9.07 - that gives 1h47m from touchdown to train departure. Will firstly try and find out punctuality of the overnight flight with Vietnam Airlines.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick North - Hotel night before & train time on return

Our flight from Vietnam is due to land at 7.20am and we are thinking of booking a train that departs at 9.07am.

========

I'd say that gives you 30 minutes leeway **if your plane lands on time**, so you might want to check if you can pay a little extra for a ticket that isn't predicated on a specific time because as I'm sure you know, with the cheapest tickets, miss the train and the ticket is invalid.

p.s Whilst the Central seems to be close enough to be walkable looking on Google it doesn't appear to be walkable in practice, as you'd have to walk alongside a stretch of dual carriageway with no pavements.

Thats backed up by the fact the website does not make any mention of it being walkable which it surely would if it was, and reviews saying the same thing - some muppet says he walked along the A23 to the airport but there are no pavements, so you couldn't do that with luggage (not to mentionhow clever is it to do that to save £3.20 ?

SW England
Level Contributor
275 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick North - Hotel night before & train time on return

Flight tickets arrived yesterday and the flight time has gone back - now have 1hour 27mins from scheduled arrival time to catching the train. We had also booked cheap megatrain tickets as a contingency - fingers crossed we don't have to use them.

7. Re: Gatwick North - Hotel night before & train time on return

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 14:48