We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will costs for Europe flights go down?

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Will costs for Europe flights go down?

We're going to Turin for a convention in early July. Any chance flights will go down in price before then?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,697 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will costs for Europe flights go down?

Well, summer is high season and oil prices are skyrocketing!

It doesn't seem likely that prices will get lower but no one here has a good crystal ball so cannot guarantee anything.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,575 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will costs for Europe flights go down?

Yes as soon as oil goes way below $100 a barrel. Till then what you see now is probably as low as it will be.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,052 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will costs for Europe flights go down?

A better question may be- will fares go up?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,175 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will costs for Europe flights go down?

Summer in Italy is always an expensive undertaking. It's unlikely fares will go down IMHO. When I go, I go in June to save.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will costs for Europe flights go down?

Doubt it. I've been watching flights to Europe since last August, for this summer and they've done nothing but go up in price.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,568 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will costs for Europe flights go down?

Hi,

I tend to agree with the others in that we can't know-- for sure-- where fares will or won't go... but.. there are some factors that go into that pricing formula that we can see-- and therefore gives us some leading indicators as to where fares might go..

I personally see three 'strikes' to lower fares and one 'wild card' that could be a game-changer..

Fuel... at over $100/barrel, and this is the airlines #1 or #2 expense.. so nothing here to tell me fares are going lower.. Strike #1

Demand.. Summer season.. simple supply and demand..and summer travel to Europe has traditionally been strong across the years.. Strike #2

Supply.. With a few less carriers out there than in years past (i.e no more CO and UA, only UA and no more NW and DL, only DL) you're looking at fewer carriers and this tends to drives fares up... Strike #3

Wild Card.. The economy.. both US and Euro.. While the US appears to be showing very, very, very modest signs of some growth, IF the economy takes a sudden or dramatic downward drop, this could hurt discretionary demand (the leisure travelers)... much like you saw in 2007 with the spectacularly sharp rise in fuel prices... and corresponding near immediate hike in fares and resumption of fuel-surcharges.. and the corresponding drop-off in travelers-- specially the higher-yielding Business passengers.

However, at this point-- mid to late February, I suspect most people who are going or planning to go, have either committed and bought their tickets, or are on the verge of doing so.. therefore any sudden shift in the economy for these folks would largely be moot as the purchasing decision for their trip has/had already been made...

Overall, I'm just not seen an operating "landscape" that leads me to believe lower fares on on the horizon.. or are in our immediate near future.

Travel Safe,

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will costs for Europe flights go down?

1) You haven't said where you're originating

2) You haven't mentioned your dates

3) You haven't mentioned the prices you're seeing

4) Nobody knows whether prices will go up or down but based on the three above people can give you at least a vague answer as opposed to a complete shot in the dark.

Summary: How are we supposed to know?

Level Contributor
119 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will costs for Europe flights go down?

I purchased tickets today on US Air from NC to Paris for June, one short stop in charlotte. 1,387 dollars... i've never paid so much to fly overseas but i see the prices keep ticking upwards. at least i have a no hassle flight.

i found some flights just a bit cheaper but when you factor in gas for driving, you save nothing.

good luck and here's to cheap flights for all!

Level Contributor
119 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will costs for Europe flights go down?

i checked airfare today, just out of curiosity, and it is down about 50 dollars for same exact route i booked about two months ago. I guess peace of mind is worth the bit of extra money.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will costs for Europe flights go down?

Once I buy my tickets, I never go back to check airfare. I never feel better if it goes down!