We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checking in Malasia Airlines

Durham
Level Contributor
638 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Checking in Malasia Airlines

Well I have to say this is the worst airline I have ever checked in on

today I have checked in with Air Asia no issues, British airways no issues and the this one Mas

I have checked in four passengers at least twelve times and then could not get to the final stage after phonming they had to re-issue the tickets the I had to do it all again

After this I couldnt print the boarding passes due to the system telling me I required assistance AND I DON'T

So I am fed up with all this

If they cant get the checking in right I dont hold out much hope for the flight

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,964 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Checking in Malasia Airlines

Actually Malaysia Airlines is a very good airline and my experience of their service was excellent (on BLR-KUL-PVG).

Sorry to hear about the problems with OLCI but that can happen from time to time with other carriers too (Alaska wouldn't accept my mother's UK passport when checking her in for leg 1 of a return to Heathrow).

If you have to check in at the airport, do allow plenty of time (in fact you'll need that time for bag drop as well). Malaysia are very strict about carry on bags' size and weight, and they'll want to weigh the carry on to ensure it's within policy. This may sound over zealous, but it does ensure very smooth and quick boarding and plenty of space for everyone in the overhead bins, making the flight comfortable.

Edited: 11 March 2012, 14:59
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Checking in Malasia Airlines

I agree with the above poster. Malaysia Airlines' website is not the best, but their onboard service is comfortable. Not sure what the point of your rant is?

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,750 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checking in Malasia Airlines

Overall I have also enjoyed my many flights with Malaysia Airlines. I wouldnt judge them by their website, especially as you probably got a really good deal which prompted you to use them anyway.

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
512 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Checking in Malasia Airlines

Thanks for the tip about carry on bags being weighed and measured. We're travelling with them in a few weeks time and - while I don't think we will have any issues - now I can make sure that we meet the limits.

Hope everything else about the flight is as good as everyone seems to be saying - although we're excited enough just to be travelling to Bali!

Sacramento...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Checking in Malasia Airlines

do they just weigh your suitcase carryon, or do they weigh everything you have, like purses, backpacks, jackets, etc?

Sacramento...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Checking in Malasia Airlines

do they just weigh the carryon suitcase or do they weigh the total of what you are carrying...jackets, backpacks, purse?

Durham
Level Contributor
638 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Checking in Malasia Airlines

They just weighed the luggage and put tags on the hand luggage

people were boarding with hugh ammounts of hand luggage it didnt seem to matter

For the record the airline is no where near the quality of Emirates

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Checking in Malasia Airlines

travelsharon ... last time I flew Malaysia Airlines (Feb 2012) they weighed my "carry on" bag (only one) which was under weight limitations and met the size specifications for carry on by the airline. I did my due diligence and adhered strictly to the allowances. I did not have a carry on "suitcase" nor backpack so have no idea how they would rate those. No, they did not weigh my small purse or lightweight jacket. But I was travelling business class and was allowed a carry on jacket and purse according to Malaysia Airlines guidelines.

Happy trails.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,624 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Checking in Malasia Airlines

travellers in all classes are allowed - one piece of handbaggage weighing under 5kg [as a minimum] plus a coat or blanket, pillow, sufficient reading material for the flight, umbrella, handbag [purse] camera in case and laptop.

apparently there is no provision for the kitchen sink, but i have seen one as checked luggage.

pam

10. Re: Checking in Malasia Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 07:18