We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair and Passports

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
366 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair and Passports

Howdy. I've just realised my passport expires on 31/05/12. I am travelling to Portugal with Ryanair both at the beginning of April and mid-May. It takes about 5 weeks for the UKPA to issue a passport so I don't have time to get one before I travel in April or in between my April and May journeys. I seem to recall that an airline I flew with before stipulated that your passport must not expire for a certain amount of time AFTER your journey but I can't remember how long or which airline. Does this ring any bells with anyone? I could call RyanAir but that'd be an hour or two of my life I wouldn't get back! TIA

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,410 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair and Passports

The destination country sets the time your passport needs to be valid for, so it depends where you're travelling to, but for most countries within the EU passports only need to be valid for the intended duration of your stay. The FCO website will tell you entry requirements for all countries.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair and Passports

Might be worth checking with the Passport Agency the current time to issue the new passport. I'm sure my renewal last year happened in under 2 weeks

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair and Passports

If you are in the UK you can get a passport faster than this by making an appointment to attend an IPS centre - they offer 2 week or even same day options. There are rules -

direct.gov.uk/en/…DG_174149

explains them

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
285 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair and Passports

Friend did the post office check and send, he had is new passport in 7 working days. Might be worth a try?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,559 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair and Passports

The following is extracted from the FCO website

"Entry Requirements - Passport Validity

You must hold a valid passport to enter Portugal. For stays of up to three months your passport must be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you do not need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this. However, it is always sensible to have a short period of extra validity on your passport in case of any unforeseen delays to your departure. You do not have to wait until your old passport expires to apply to renew it. Any time left on your old passport when you apply will be added to your new passport, up to a maximum of nine months. For passport applications in the UK, you should apply to the Identity and Passport Service. For stays of longer than three months, contact the Embassy of the country to which you are travelling."

fco.gov.uk/en/…portugal

What is the date of return for your mid May trip - if before 31 May then you should be ok but if after 31 May then you will not be allowed entry, you would probably be denied boarding in the UK.

6. Re: Ryanair and Passports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 01:41