We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare / Airline websites / info

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
58 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare / Airline websites / info

I am trying to book several flights for various people of different locations, etc...

One VERY important factor is the layover time.

There are NO nonstop flights for the flights we need.

Therefore, I MUST allow at least a two-hour layover because in the summer, generally speaking, allowing for thunderstorm delays as well as occasionally needing to change terminals by bus or tram,

it can't be done in an hour.

So airline / airfare website, PLEASE MAKE it obvious what the layover time will be. I want some time in the airport - I don't fly often and like to walk around, do some shopping & grab a bite. I don't mind 2-3 hour layovers. But ONE hour is NOT enough unless the gates are very close together!

The flights your automatic schedule provides don't always work!

Believe me, I know what I'm talking about - I've run through many airports, just trying to catch the connecting flight!!! And, I've done so pregnant, carrying kids & strollers, and I've heard of my very elderly relatives having to do the same! It's NO FUN!

THANK YOU!

Edited: 15 March 2012, 22:36
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare / Airline websites / info

I don't quite understand your post. Any flight search on any airline's webpage will show you the time between connections.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare / Airline websites / info

one hour can be plenty depending on the airport.

strange post tho as layover times are always mentioned on airline web sites that i visit anyway.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare / Airline websites / info

Hi,

I can understand the OP's concern, but also agree with the others in that connection time is almost always listed..

That said, it may not always be a prominently listed as, say the origin departure time or the final destination times are listed or displayed... but in most all cases, it IS there if you look or click on the flight details.

I also think that if you were to take a 'poll' of what deciding factors a passenger uses for his/her flights, connection time would not be very high up the list.. Is it important? Yes.. but I will say that if you look at most booking sites-- airline direct or 3rd party-- by far and away the most common 'filters' are origin departure time and destination arrival time-- not amount of connection time.

I suspect that for most people the reality is that they want the shortest *legal* and do-able connection as possible-- and therefore this is programmaticaly incorporated into the booking engine.

Travel Safe,

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,907 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare / Airline websites / info

Firstly, the non airline search engines get their information directly from the airlines as to which itineraries are ticket- able as "legal" connections.

Secondly, I'm afraid the airlines can't be all things to all people when it comes to what they make available on their searches.

One hour may not be to your liking (or normally mine), but if 80-90% of the time passengers make those connections, why shouldn't they be offered? I'm afraid it's up to you to filter out or sift through all the flight options.

If you don't want to do it, then contact a reputable full service travel agent, tell them your parameters and ask them to do it for you. If you don't like what they offer, tell them to try again; that's basically what I do for my business flights with my company's agent. You'll likely pay a higher booking fee, but you'll get one-to-one service and ultimately the best you can get without the hassle.

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
58 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare / Airline websites / info

All of you offered EXCELLENT information - I sincerely appreciate your replies!

After reading your comments, I did go back to various websites and all of you are correct - ALL of the airline & various travel website I checked DO offer the information, listed under FLIGHT DETAILS, exactly as you said.

Sorry - I guess I totally didn't know what I was talking about - AGAIN!

Happy Trails to all of you & THANKS AGAIN! :)

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
376 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare / Airline websites / info

If you want to see what your options look like graphically, try http://www.hipmunk.com. Resort the resulting flights by duration and, logically so, the longest flights will tend to be those with the longest connect times. The display also handily identifies the airport(s) where the connection(s) occur.

7. Re: Airfare / Airline websites / info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 01:16