We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco airport

Chapala, Mexico
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco airport

I have 6 hours between flights in San Francisco. Both flights are international. What are the food choices in the airport? Does this airport have a smoking area? My flight to GDL is a redeye.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,992 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco airport

http://www.flysfo.com/web/page/index.jsp#

With 6hrs you could comfortably take the BART into the city and come back again.

encinitas,calif.
Level Contributor
941 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco airport

i agree. you could take BART into the city. there are many places to eat near the BART station in union square or in embarcadero area. very close to BART stops..6 hours is a long time to sit at SFO...BART is very easy to use. you take an air train to BARTvery quickly. there are some nice places to eat in the airport but wouldn't you rather go into the city if you can??BART is Bay Area Rapid Transportaion.

Indiana
Level Contributor
26 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco airport

There is no indoor smoking area at SFO. There are many restaurants at SFO and the terminal is well-designed. Food choices outside security are limited compared to inside, so you pretty much have to choose between food and smoking unless you want the hassle of exiting and re-entering through security. There's an In N Out off-site across from SFO which is a bit of a hotspot for people on layovers if you're into that kind of thing.

Chapala, Mexico
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco airport

This layover is from 5:40 PM to midnight, so I'm not interested in going into the city.

What's an In N Out? I'm an old lady; I don't want to boogie. I just want some place to eat something good and smoke (not at the same time, although that would be nice) since I will be coming off a long flight from Beijing via Tokyo on my way home to Mexico. After that marathon, I can and will crash when I get home.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,992 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco airport

What's an In N Out?

http://bit.ly/Hehfqq

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
48,872 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco airport

Go to the link provided by OP2002 in his first response, click on Interactive Maps, then Food & Beverage to see your options within the airport.

Indiana
Level Contributor
26 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco airport

@#4, 5: In N Out is a California fast food chain which has somewhat mythical status among people who transit SFO and LAX because there is a location right across from the airport in both cities. I only said it because it's just one of those out-of-the-box things.

If you want easy, staying at SFO is the way to go.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,657 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco airport

RevImmigrant,

Just clear immigration and customs and spend a few hours landside. You can smoke only in designated areas outside the terminal building, but there are designated areas right outside the international check in.

There are also two very reasonable food court areas at each end of the check in area serving ok Italian sandwiches, American fare, Chinese and Japanese (sushi and cooked) foods. I spent about 2.5 hours in those areas a couple of weeks ago before going airside for my flight to Asia.

Chapala, Mexico
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco airport

Thanks to all of you who responded. This gives me a definite idea about what to do for 6 hours at SFO.

I live near Guadalajara, Mexico and we don't have In N Out, but we have Carl's Jr. I think it's a chain from California too.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
18,327 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco airport

In n Out is way, way nicer than Carls Jr if you just want a regular burger, but there's also the whole secret menu to discover if you can be bothered!

SWT