We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch Bags

San Pedro, CA
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Topic
Lunch Bags

I asked this question about 4 years ago and thought I'd ask it again to see what current "conditions" are. Has anyone had problems, or known anyone who did, boarding with a small, soft-sided, collapsible, lunch sack/cooler? Ours are maybe 9" long, 6" wide and 6" tall with shoulder straps. Just wondered if they'd try to count a lunch tote as a third item. We have taken these lunch sacks with us many times, but this February leaving Kauai for Honolulu we were told by the gate agent that we needed to stuff the sacks into our luggage because the flight attendants wouldn't let us on with three items. I muttered to my husband to just keep walking and we'd deal with the sacks at the door to the plane if someone called us on it, and they didn't. We are about to head off to Chicago on American this weekend, lunch sacks in hand. Because I'm a worrywort and we are pretty good about travelling light, there will no doubt be room to spare in our luggage if need be.

Thank you,

Indiana
Level Contributor
388 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Lunch Bags

Does everyone in your party need two carry-ons? If not, designate one of the people in your party as the food carrier, put all of your lunch totes inside a separate canvas bag and that is "their" carry on. Just my $0.02.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Lunch Bags

Wow, I can't believe how hard everyone is piling on the OP here!

We usually fly American and they do say on their website that bringing a lunch with you does not count as one of your carry-ons. I figure this is only fair since they don't feed you on the plane anymore.

Many people stop to buy a sandwich from one of the vendors in the airport. To save money, I will bring a sandwich and chips from home, just like the OP does. I have never put this in an insulated bag, though. It's always in a paper sack with handles and anyone can see at a glance that it's food in there. I have never had any problems doing this. And it is not breaking the rules since on American at least, a snack or lunch is not counted as a carry-on item.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Lunch Bags

Well if it is accepted practice and encouraged by the airline

Then why is the OP acting as if it is not

nobody. Is being harsh just responding to the content of the OPs posts

If the OP familiarised themselves with the regs then these conversations would not have taken place

The OP says that they are regular AA flyers so why the confusion . Why did she mutter to her travelling companion to ignore a request to stop and just keep on walking , why did some official ask them boh to top if it is standard practice for everyone that wants to to bring a bag containing lunch with them regardless hat it is the third item.

Why raise this as a thread?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Lunch Bags

Since the OP's lunch is in a zipped-up insulated lunch bag with a shoulder strap, it looks at first glance like a purse rather than a lunch. I always carry my lunch in a paper sack that looks like a lunch bag, so I never get any questions.

I agree that this seems a silly subject to hash out endlessly, though. :-)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,374 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Lunch Bags

As long as your airline specifically allows food to be brought on separately, then I don't see any problem with doing exactly what the airline tells you you are allowed to do. Delta allows food intended to be consumed on the flight to be brought on IN ADDITION TO your carry-on and personal item (as well as a coat, umbrella, sroller and crutches, none of which count as personal items) but they require that the food be purchased at the airport, not brought from home. Check with yoru airline.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,374 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Lunch Bags

And American specifically allows bringing food from home, so I doubt you'll have a problem.

aa.com/i18n/…

"Additional items that will be allowed above and beyond the restrictions listed above include:

[...]

Small bag of food to eat on the flight - see guidelines for liquids.

[...]"

27. Re: Lunch Bags

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 17:17