We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penn station to JFK

6 posts
Save Topic
Penn station to JFK

I want to get to the JFK from penn station. I have 5 heavy baggages and my year old daughter and her stroller. Is there is any porters that can help with my bags?? Where I can find a taxi that can haul my bags and my family?? How long and how much would be the taxi ride? Please help.

Thank you

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Penn station to JFK

try the new york forum if nothing forthcoming here.

edit: ok i see u have and not much help so far there, huh?

Edited: 05 April 2012, 01:51
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,277 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Penn station to JFK

^^^^^^ I noticed exactly the same thing. If NYC based people here can help that would be very helpful to the OP.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Penn station to JFK

I have not noticed any porters at Penn Station ever to help with bags. However, that could be because I wasn't looking for the service. The best thing you could do is call Penn Station itself on a help or customer service number to see if there is some type of porter service to help with your bags. Maybe you could arrange something. But you need to call them to find out.

Getting a taxi would be no problem in Manhattan, especially around Penn Station. There are cabs everywhere! If there is no traffic, the ride to JFK should take you 30 - 45 minutes.

At what time are you going to make your trip?

The price depends on that as well. If you are trying to go during rush hour, the meter is going to be running. The taxis charge a metered rate, so price will vary. You should avoid rush hour. Not only for the price, but so you won't miss your flight.

One last thing, be careful of the unlicensed livery cabs. They are scammers. They use town cars and they will charge you double the price for a taxi. There's no need to use them. Take a taxi! Hope this helps!

e t

6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Penn station to JFK

Thanks to every one!! My flight is at 22:20. Arriving to penn at 16:45. So hopefully I think I have plenty of time. Thanks again.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,988 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Penn station to JFK

Traveling by yourself with a 1 year old and that much baggage is going to be rough. Have you considered using a baggage delivery service to ship some of it to your final destination? It probably won't be cheap, but neither are the excess baggage fees.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,057 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Penn station to JFK

Where are you coming from to reach Penn Station? If you will be in the Tri-state vicinity, you might just want to call for a car service direct from your starting point. It won't be cheap but you won't have the hassle of putting your bags on trains, taking them off trains and then transferring to a taxi.

6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Penn station to JFK

Thanks to every one!! My flight is at 22:20. Arriving to penn at 16:45. So hopefully I think I have plenty of time. Thanks again.

From boston

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Penn station to JFK

If you are arriving at Penn at 4:45 pm, you will have plenty of time to catch your 10:20 flight.

If you didn't have so much luggage, I would actually suggest taking the LIRR at Penn Station to catch the Airtrain to JFK. It would be much faster because that rush hour traffic is going to be a killer getting from the city, then having to jump on the Van Wyck Expressway to the airport.

Good luck with everything and safe travels!

6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Penn station to JFK

From Boston

Thanks for all the help guys. I think it would be best to drive my self from Boston to JFK and park my car at long term parking garage. How safe are those garages?? Any one??

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,162 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Penn station to JFK

How long are you going to be away?

If you are going to self-drive and, say, will be away for 2-weeks, perhaps you should consider doing a one-way car rental from Boston to JFK. It is going to cost about $200 with gas max. Do remember to factor in the return trip. Might be cheaper than using your own car and pay for long term parking.