We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

great fare but--

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Topic
great fare but--

look at the tax our wonderful british government levy

c/pasted btw-

----------------------------------

Fare :£83

Tax (Approx) :£366

Total Per Adult :£449

£83

£366

£449

VIETNAM AIRLINES

Flights from London Gatwick to Bangkok

vietnam airlines flight from london gatwick to bangkok

To :

Via :

Min/Max :

London Gatwick

Bangkok

Ho Chi Minh City

3Day/12Month

Dep. Date:

Return:

Class:

19-Apr-2012

26-Apr-2012

Economy Class

23 Jul 2012

Check flight availability

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: great fare but--

and if you look at the tax on petrol for cars is not too different and yet we are still in a crisis.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: great fare but--

as much as i hate to stick up for the govenment i would think those are not all uk govenment taxes, as i am sure the vietnam govenment will take a 'slice' of that.

the tax lines on tickets tend to have the airline and airport charges in them as well.

personaly i would love to see a full breakdown of the 'taxes and charges' line of all airline tickets, and a removal of the 'fuel surcharge' and make that included in the air fare, as you cant go flying without fuel.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,322 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: great fare but--

Take a look at this article.

…baomoi.com/Info/…249081.epi

VN has increased its fuel surcharge. Though it doesn't mention Vietnam-London specifically, it quotes other European flights (France, Germany) as having a fuel surcharge of $175 (US). So, as you're flying a round trip, that's $350, or £220. **

UK APD for Thailand is £81, and BKK departure tax of about £15 (700 Baht).

So, adding those up comes to £316, so only £50 not accounted for, which could include fuel for the SGN-BKK legs (which based on that article could be £37) and other security fees.

So, much as I hate APD, your £366 is mostly not the UK government's taking.

** Looking at the booking site for VN, it does say that the taxes and service fees include fuel surcharges

Edited: 05 April 2012, 14:43
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,944 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: great fare but--

It happens... that's all I can say. I just booked a long-haul flight this morning. The fare was $250 USD, the taxes and surcharges were $573.50 USD. Such is life nowadays.

5. Re: great fare but--

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 18:42