We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Edinburgh

Wylie, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Flying to Edinburgh

Hello, my Wife and I are flying from Houston IAH to Edinburgh in July. Every flight we have checked includes a stopover in London. On Previous trips we would go from Houston to Newark to Edinburgh. I assume this change must be due to the Olympics starting in London. Has anyone heard of this? What happened ? Thanks

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,011 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to Edinburgh

I see plenty of connections through EWR with United in July. Where are you looking and for which dates?

Edited: 08 April 2012, 13:02
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,248 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Edinburgh

There are no changes to schedules due to the Olympics. All you are seeing is a different routing.

Wylie, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Edinburgh

Hello again and thanks everyone for your replies. We are departing July 3rd and returning July 26. The funny thing is I had no difficulty finding flights from EWR direct to EDI but when I include Houston IAH into the mix all flights are routed through London or Amsterdam. I know this isn't that big of a deal, but on a flight this long every hour we can shave and layover we can omit really helps. Thanks again for your time.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,083 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to Edinburgh

A quick search on United for random July dates came up with the following option, among others:

UA 152 Houston (Depart 12:00) Newark (Arrive 16:52)

UA 36 Newark (Depart 20:05) Edinburgh (Arrive 07:55)

UA 37 Edinburgh (Depart 09:25) Newark (Arrive 12:05)

UA 107 Newark (Depart 15:05) Houston (Arrive 17:53)

Where are you searching?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,011 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying to Edinburgh

I think you're searching in the wrong place. Looking at those dates on United's website, the cheapest routing is through EWR.

The overall journey time shouldn't vary much whether you connect in EWR or London.

Edited: 08 April 2012, 13:57
Wylie, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying to Edinburgh

Searching on Expedia, FrugalFlyer and Google

uk
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying to Edinburgh

As the others have said, look on the United website and you should be able to find your preferred routing.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,011 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying to Edinburgh

You'll probably get better results if you use dedicated flight search engines like Kayak and Skyscanner. But in any case, if you know which airline you want to fly, just search on and buy from that airline's website directly. In your case, United's the only airline that flies from EWR to EDI.

Edited: 08 April 2012, 15:06
9. Re: Flying to Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2013, 05:25