We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa and Middle Names!

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Lufthansa and Middle Names!

Hi There,

I'm just wondering if anyone would be able to give me any advice.

I'm traveling with a friend from Berlin to Barcelona in a few weeks with Lufthansa (We're both UK Citizens).

The trouble is that unlike myself, my friend has a middle name, and when I booked the tickets I only provided our first and last names (in full) but omitted his middle name, and as I have never flown Lufthansa before, i'm at abit of a loss.

I have gathered from what I've read on here and other websites that it's permissible to not have a middle name on an airline ticket, however, I'm confused by Lufthansa's 'Advanced Passenger Information' System where we have to enter our Passport details in advance. It asks for the passengers names to be provided 'as is' on passport, however, they only provide boxes for 'First Name' (not plural) and 'Last Name'.

I've tried contacting Lufthansa but got no response, could anyone elaborate on whether I should enter his Middle Name after his first or omit it entirely?

Thanks in advance!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lufthansa and Middle Names!

I would just stop worrying about it; omit it. It will be fine.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,455 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lufthansa and Middle Names!

Hi,

I agree.. Don't loose too much sleep over this..

Anything that needs to be corrected or added by LH will be collected from you before you depart..

The issue with names is that there are soooo many permutations.. not just the common 2 name or 3 (with middle) names, but hyphenated names, legal names that are four or even five sets long... and then you have name length.. I have friends here in Bangkok whose legal names, if i were to write on a regular envelope, would wrap around to the back side-- they are that long..

Point here is that is may seem straight forward, but for a carrier like LH, who routinely carries passengers from very different cultures, it's very hard to develop one single platform to address all the possible name combinations..

Just give it what it asks for.. so long as you do that, you're OK.. Don't however try to "self-fix" the matter-- that's doing things like put your first and middle together as one, in order to get it all in..

If you're Steven Robert Smith, and it asks for just first and last, then that's Steven Smith not StevenRobert Smith or Stevenrobert Smith..

IF Lufthansa needs more they will be sure to flag your booking and get it before departure.

Travel Safe,

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,200 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lufthansa and Middle Names!

As has been posted many times here,First and Last names only are required,Middle names are nice to know,but technically useless.

I remember MR O from South Korea had problems,as the airline reservation computers couldn't cope with a single letter Last name.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,439 posts
478 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lufthansa and Middle Names!

I've never input my middle name in any API system (advanced passenger information) and never had a problem! The only time it is there is when a travel agent does it for me (the one I use in the US tend to do that systematically now for some reason). So no worry!

Edited: 10 April 2012, 02:10
Paris, France
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lufthansa and Middle Names!

Hi!

I also have a question about this! I forgot to give my middle name to the travel agent. Now I'm worried that it might become a problem. I'm flying to Colombia, so I'm worried it might be more complicated with international flights.

Has anyone been in this situation?

Thanks in advance!

Susanna

Tranemo, Västra...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Lufthansa and Middle Names!

Hey there,

I booked a ticket for my boyfriends parents yesterday from Gothenburg to Sofia and wrote all of their names (first, middle and family) but when i paid it, i saw that the system had automatically shortened his moms first and middle name just to one R and then the family name. I called Lufthansa reservation office and they said it wouldnt be a problem when she checks-in. They would put a note that thats a shortened name. Im still worried if everything will be ok with the name, cause they will fly alone for first time. Has anyone had the same problem before?

Thank you,

Kristina

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lufthansa and Middle Names!

Trust Lufthansa reservation office. It will not be a problem.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lufthansa and Middle Names!

It won't be a problem, this happens quite often.

9. Re: Lufthansa and Middle Names!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2013, 05:15