We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking lots of flights in the space of a year

UK
Level Contributor
284 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Booking lots of flights in the space of a year

During the next year I'm going to be booking around £25,000 of flights to and from three separate locations. There'll be around 16 on the 1st trip, 10 on the 2nd, and just 2 on the last trip.

Have any of you had any experience if there are travel agents prepared to 'do a deal' so to speak?

I approached a high street agent several weeks ago,and other than giving me a business card,they didn't seem all that interested.

Do you think I'll come across the same attitude across the board?

If that's going to be the case then not to worry-I'm probably better off booking direct with the airlines anyway.

Any thoughts are appreciated-thanks...

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking lots of flights in the space of a year

Join an airlines Executive Club (BA ? ) with all those trips you should end up with enough miles/points to help cover the costs of your trips the following year

AND -I always book direct with the airline

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking lots of flights in the space of a year

Most TA's are probably not able to cut you a deal. The way the system is set up, except for tours and charters. they're looking at the same prices you are. They do not really have access to any special fares. Just the tools to search and find lower fares and/or fare combinations.

If your flights are for groups traveling on the same day, I'd contact the airline directly for the first 2 trips. Most airlines have a group department and they could offer some discounts and/or incentives. After all, it is their airline.

For the last trip, I'd just book online as 2 people would not qualify for a group discount. However, if these are on the same airline, you may want to mention it when booking the other 2 and see if they will add it into the deal (if they offer one). Never hurts to try.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking lots of flights in the space of a year

I don't think you're even remotely close to getting a deal.

Airlines generally operate on 'route deals' whereby you guarantee a certain number of seats on a route over a given month/year and you get a discount, the same goes for corporate discounts. You're looking at seven figures easily before you approach somewhere that you'll

I'll be honest £25,000 isn't a whole lot of cash in the scheme of things for plane tickets over the space of a year, it's a handful of first or business class tickets in a given year, or weekly shorthaul trips.

As the first reply said you're better of sticking to flying one airline and reaping benefits in terms of free flights/miles. Depending upon how you use those miles you could earn a substantial "discount" indirectly.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking lots of flights in the space of a year

Depending upon how you use those miles you could earn a substantial "discount" indirectly.

True, but be advised for almost any airline FF program, you will only earn miles for YOUR ticket. Each individual will earn their own miles.

Daydream Island...
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking lots of flights in the space of a year

I have no experience with UK airlines, but my organization went directly to Delta with our needs for many flights to points they serve regularly. They offer skybonus and custom programs and discounted tickets for business travel within certain parameters for certain markets. We can hop a flight to Dallas or Houston anytime on the discounts, but New York or LA discounts can only be used on certain lower volume days. This program works well if you need a lot of flights for several persons, but the billing requirements are strict and are not flexible if your flight schedules decrease or cease.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking lots of flights in the space of a year

True, but be advised for almost any airline FF program, you will only earn miles for YOUR ticket. Each individual will earn their own miles.

Depends on the airline. British Airways have OnBusiness for small and medium companies

britishairways.com/travel/…en_gb

uk
Level Contributor
3,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking lots of flights in the space of a year

Also consider booking all the flights on a good cash back or rewards credit card.

There is a BA Amex out at the moment which will give you a lot of Avios on that level of spend and a companion voucher for when you use those points.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,116 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking lots of flights in the space of a year

If you book with BA, have everyone in the groups join the Executive Club and open a household account.

Everyone will have to share one address, but if some of those travelling aren't interested in using their Milevios after having flown then you may use them as they'll remain in the household account as long as there is activity in the primary member's account. You (or the primary member in the HHA) will not be able to share Tier Points, but a wallop of Milevios could be useful.

BA do arrange group travel, working to ensure the group are seated together (within limits) and may be able to offer a small reduction in fares. Worth calling the airline at 0191 490 7901.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking lots of flights in the space of a year

If you book with BA, have everyone in the groups join the Executive Club and open a household account.

======

The max people in a HHA is 7 in total.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,116 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking lots of flights in the space of a year

Seven? Blast. If there is a Mr/s lucky13 perhaps two HHAs can be created, unless others in the groups want to keep their Milevios for future travel.