We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

QANTAS planes from USA to Sydney--lie flat in business?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,739 posts
310 reviews
Save Topic
QANTAS planes from USA to Sydney--lie flat in business?

Hello. FOr my next trip, I am considering buying a business class seat to SYD using AA miles. BUT it looks as if I'd need to reoute via LAX since AA says it only covers the transpacific part. MAybe I can go via Dallas, will have to ask.

Anyway, I was looking on SeatGuru and am confused. It looks like only SOME of the 747s have lie-flat seats in business? Anyone know whether or which flights to and from Sydney have the lie-flat seats?

No way am I buying AA/Qantas business w/o the lie-flat...I can go on United and they all have those.

My whole route is WAS-SYD.

Thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: QANTAS planes from USA to Sydney--lie flat in business?

Right. 180-degree flat beds are on the A380s and some of the 747s. Qantas is retrofitting the new flat Skybeds across the 747 fleet, but it's a drawn out process. You can read about it here: qantas.com.au/travel/…en

If you can score business redemption seats on the A380 that's the way to go. Getting those on Qantas is often quite difficult, so flexibility is a must.

Iowa
Level Contributor
290 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: QANTAS planes from USA to Sydney--lie flat in business?

Don't count on "buying" those Qantas seats with AA miles. We started trying eleven months out and were able to book economy award seats, but we continued our attempts to obtain business class right up to the day of the flight. We were repeatedly told that American has to wait for Qantas to release the seats for American Airlines passenger's use but to keep trying.

Didn't work for us. Although Qantas economy is more comfortable than American Airlines economy, it was an exhausting trip for those of us who can't sleep sitting upright.

3. Re: QANTAS planes from USA to Sydney--lie flat in business?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 April 2012, 00:05
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,786 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: QANTAS planes from USA to Sydney--lie flat in business?

Seatguru is quite outdated. Cross check the seat map at the Qantas website before you rely on it. Anyway, ibgardyloo gave you good info regarding the new QF business class seats. I might also add that even the non-180 degree seats aren't too bad. The seat fabric provides enough friction that I never got the feeling of sliding down like some other airlines.

I am not sure what you meant by AA only covering the Transpacific part? If you have enough miles, you can get a ticket that covers your entire itinerary. AA has direct flights from IAD to LAX.

Regarding LAX-SYD redemption, this is a very popular route so availability could be tight. You can sign up for QF's frequent flier program for free and see their award availability on the site using dummy bookings.

Iowa
Level Contributor
290 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: QANTAS planes from USA to Sydney--lie flat in business?

An American Airlines rep told me that Qantas first makes award seats available to their own FF'ers before making award seats available to American FF'ers. If true, looking at the Qantas award availability may not help. Start early and be persistent. "Maybe" you'll be among the lucky few to snag a business award and a nice, comfortable seat/bed. Good luck!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: QANTAS planes from USA to Sydney--lie flat in business?

>> An American Airlines rep told me that Qantas first makes award seats available to their own FF'ers before making award seats available to American FF'ers.<<

Which is true, but with an asterisk. Qantas opens its booking windows a month earlier than AA does, so Qantas FFers get 360 days lead time rather than 330 for AA FFers wanting to redeem miles on QF flights. So it's a timing issue, not one of priorities in the queue.

But I have never experienced a case where a Qantas seat shown as available on the QF site DURING THE AA OPEN WINDOW wasn't available for redemption using AA miles. So unless you're looking 12 months out instead of 11, and you see something that will work, then it ought to work using AA miles.

Seats are released into mileage redemption inventory on a rolling basis - you might not see anything available at T-11 months, but seats may well appear right up until a few days before flight time, depending on how Qantas' (or any airline's) yield management computers make their real-time judgements. I just booked a mileage seat on a rather hard-to-get route for a flight next week; looking out several months there's nothing, but closer in, there's space.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,786 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: QANTAS planes from USA to Sydney--lie flat in business?

Without going through the technicalities, I have used the QF website to see award inventory and then proceeded to call CX (Oneworld partner of QF). Every time I have called, the availability of QF an BA (which is also shown on QF's website) is consistent with what I was seeing online.

8. Re: QANTAS planes from USA to Sydney--lie flat in business?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 06:42