We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charleston to Las Vegas with one stopover

merlin076
Level Contributor
8 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Charleston to Las Vegas with one stopover

I am coming to america for a 9 week holiday and thinking of booking a flight with Southwest on 29/ September this year from Charleston to Las Vegas. the stop over is in Nashville but only gives 35 minutes to change planes to complete the journey to Las Vegas. Do they just transfer luggage to the other plane? Also, this does not seem enough time to get off one plane and onto another. Have never been to America before and not sure how this works. Can anyone help?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,395 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charleston to Las Vegas with one stopover

I've flown via Nashville and whilst it is an easy airport to navigate I'd personally wouldn't book connecting flights with only a 35 minute connection.

There is no room for any problems such as a delayed incoming flight and even if you were to make it on the second flight there is a risk your luggage won't make it as you are relying on the efficiency of the baggage handlers.

Your luggage will be tagged to LV when you check in at Charleston but it still has to be taken off one plane and loaded on to another.

If you miss the connection then the airline will put you on the next flight that has empty seats as they are not obliged to bump passengers to seat delayed passengers.

I would try to book flights with a longer connection window to minimise stress levels.

merlin076
Level Contributor
8 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charleston to Las Vegas with one stopover

thanks for your advice. This is what I suspected. Thought it was strange that the airline would offer this flight with such a tight changeover.

I really appreciate your feedback:)

uk
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charleston to Las Vegas with one stopover

Are you sure you actually have to change planes at Nashville?

A lot of Southwest flights go A to B to C to D to E etc.

If you want to go A to C you stop a B but don't actually get off.

I know this is certainly true of the few Southwest flights I've taken from Nashville.

Might be worth checking if it applies in your case.

atlanta
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charleston to Las Vegas with one stopover

On Southwest in Nashville I we expect 35 minutes is fine. SW is very efficient, they move your luggage, flights are close together etc..

SW is the only carrier I trust on these short layovers. That said I make them often in Salt Lake City on Delta.

uk
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charleston to Las Vegas with one stopover

Yes, was going to add, Nashville is a really compact airport and all the Southwest flights depart from the same area. The walk from one gate to the next is just a few meters.

My only concern would be if your first flight were delayed, but then this can happen on any airline with any length of delay. I'd just maybe have a contingency plan in case something goes wrong.

6. Re: Charleston to Las Vegas with one stopover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 06:17