We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chances of an Upgrade?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
227 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Chances of an Upgrade?

I am flying on AA in a couple of weeks on a economy/coach seat. I noticed that the flight currently has multiple open First Class seats available. I did join AA's freq flyer club but haven't earned any points yet, so that won't help. Never flown first class before so started wondering if and how it would be possible to get an upgrade if they don't fill up. Anyone know if they ever offer and what the price might be? I did fly another airline years ago where at the last minute they asked if anyone wanted to upgrade to first class it would be $50. So, what would I need to do/say/pay for a last minute upgrade at the gate? What are my chances?

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chances of an Upgrade?

take out your credit card and ask how much.

pam

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chances of an Upgrade?

Close to zero. As with most airlines, AA has a policy in place to handle upgrades. Elite members of their FF program will already be waiting for these upgrades, which will be complementary to them. Other people will be waiting to upgrade with upgrade instruments or miles.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
227 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chances of an Upgrade?

So, I can't just smile and flatter them insincerely? : )

Being that the flight is out of Miami, yes, I'm sure there will be others with "perks" way ahead of me. Thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,696 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chances of an Upgrade?

If there are seats available when you check in, the system will offer you an option to upgrade. We have had this happen numerous times when using the kiosks at the airport to check in. However, it's not going to be cheap. The airlines would much rather fly with those seats empty than offer them at deeply discounted prices.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chances of an Upgrade?

AA don't upgrade all elites for free only Executive Platinums. The others have to use miles or "stickers" (they're now electronic) that they earn or can buy at a discounted price. As such the cabins on shorter flights do often go out with empty seats. I've heard of AA offering discounted upgrades at the kiosk or check-in, not seen any myself though (usually booked in F)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,773 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chances of an Upgrade?

If you are flying domestic, go to the gate and then ask the agent to put you on the standby upgrade list. I don't know if they do this based on your fare basis or elite status but it's worth a shot. The only catch is this upgrade list is often finalized after boarding has started so if you don't get upgraded, you might be one of the last ones to board.

7. Re: Chances of an Upgrade?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 05:17