We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time to purchase flight tickets to Hong Kong from TOR?

Toronto, Canada
9 posts
Save Topic
best time to purchase flight tickets to Hong Kong from TOR?

Hi everyone,

I'm planning for a trip to Hong Kong next year. I'm aiming to fly at the end of Apr or the beginning of May (whichever is cheaper) and return at the end of August. I notice depending on when u preorder your flight, the price varies even though its the same departure n return date. Does anyone know when is it usually the best time for purchasing cheapest flights from Toronto to Hong Kong (end of April /beginning of May TO end of August)?

Right now (beginning of April) , it says $1120.. which I *think* it's the cheapest I saw but not sure since I didn't watch it in Feb, March.. and haven't kept a record on the prices.

Any ideas are welcomed n appreciated !

Thanks in an advance.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,847 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time to purchase flight tickets to Hong Kong from TOR?

I suggest you subscribe those e-newsletters from airlines like Air Canada and Cathay Pacific so if they have a seat sale you will be informed accordingly. You could also follow their tweets in Twitter.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best time to purchase flight tickets to Hong Kong from TOR?

"TOR" is not Toronto. If you book with your made up airport code you could end up starting somewhere entirely different to where you wish to be :-)

There is no "usual best time" except "in a sale", and sales don't occur at fixed times. Chances are, sales that cover April 2013 will be sometime around Sep-November this year but there may also be ones after Christmas, sometime in the Jan-March range, but nothing is guaranteed.

You can sign up for airline alerts (as recommended above) and also look at websites like Kayak and itamatrix (matrix.itasoftware.com). Note however that prices on sites like those sometimes are via various somewhat dubious third parties, not direct with the airlines (which many recommend here to avoid hassle and ripoffs). But even so, seeing prices suddenly drop may give you an indication that sales have started.

If you have complete flexibility about your dates, you'll likely find that midweek is the cheapest time, as many people want to fly at weekends.

Finally you say that you are seeing prices at a certain level now, but I presume that's not for April-August 2013? With few exceptions, you cant buy flights more than about 11 months out, or if you do, its a guess on the part of the seller that those flights will be available, since most airlines dont publish schedules more than 11 months out. This means for a return flight for August next year, the very earliest you could purchase would be September or October this year. And the very earliest is usually the most expensive time.

In your position I'd probably expect to purchase in a sale after Christmas this year.

Indiana
Level Contributor
26 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best time to purchase flight tickets to Hong Kong from TOR?

April/May is generally a good time to go to HKG. AC has traditionally been the cheapest on this route but CX has a rock solid share of the Canada-HKG market and have competitive prices as well. I'm more familiar with trans-Pacific flight prices out of western Canada/US but $1120 out of YTO (real code for Toronto) seems to be definitely on the low end of the scale. You can also look at BR (EVA Air) through TPE or UA (United) through ORD/SFO. While AC and CX are the only non-stop options between YYZ and HKG there's a plethora of carriers who publish fares for one-stop itineraries on this route. Personally I prefer one-stop to HKG from North America over non-stop.

If you're talking next April/May, I would wait to pull the trigger. Sometimes UA has ridiculously low fares from Canada to Asia to compete with AC. I booked YYC-TPE last year for someone for about $700 all-in.

UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best time to purchase flight tickets to Hong Kong from TOR?

3:42 am on a Tuesday.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best time to purchase flight tickets to Hong Kong from TOR?

It used to be Mick, but people got wise to that, so now its 3:43 on a Wednesday.

6. Re: best time to purchase flight tickets to Hong Kong from TOR?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 14:18