We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BmiBaby winter 2012/2013, will it happen?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
BmiBaby winter 2012/2013, will it happen?

As most people are now aware BMI is being taken over by IAG who own British Airways in order to use slots that are currently used by BMI, therefore increase their capacity and dependency in Heathrow. IAG have already said that Bmi Regional and BmiBaby are not part of the deal and would be shut down if no buyers are found. We are very close to the end of the take-over now and still nobody has bought the regional and low-cost arms of BMI. BmiBaby still have nothing on sale from winter 2012/2013 and usually have their winter season on sale by this time of the year.

If BmiBaby was to close, what does this mean for Belfast-City, Birmingham and especially East Midlands. If East Midlands loses BmiBaby what will heppen there? Hopefull we will see an increase in Ryanair services and maybe even see EasyJet return which would be fantastic news for the region. In a way, I would prefer if BmiBaby was to go knowing that easyJet would come back and/or Ryanair increases services as they are both stronger companies?

But is a closure of BmiBaby likely to happen? Any thoughts???

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BmiBaby winter 2012/2013, will it happen?

If I was working for bmibaby I would have been looking for another job for over a year now.Not only does BA/Iberia conglomerate not want bmibaby but neither did Lufthansa and Lufthansa made no secret of that.Has been making massive losses doubtless exacerbated because pax would not book with them with the background of a firesale/closure.

I realise that not all prospective passengers are as clued up as readers of this Forum.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BmiBaby winter 2012/2013, will it happen?

I have a friend who works in admin at bmibaby and he's trying to get a job at BA at the moment. It doesn't look good for WW.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BmiBaby winter 2012/2013, will it happen?

Because Lufthansa has been unable to sell BMI Regional and bmibaby IAG has bought them at a reduced price.Announced in the press today that neither airline fits into IAG's long term plans and,just like Lufthansa,they will be seeking buyer(s) for these friendless carriers.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BmiBaby winter 2012/2013, will it happen?

Willie Walsh of IAG said today that IAG are not expecting to find a buyer for bmibaby or BMI Regional so both airlines will probably close.800 further bmi jobs at risk, result of above.I think that answers your question Andy M.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BmiBaby winter 2012/2013, will it happen?

I think if any of BMi Regional routes are profitable, then Flybe will step in and operate them. Watch this space.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BmiBaby winter 2012/2013, will it happen?

Bmi Baby is loss-making, as I understand it. Part of that may be its operating costs, but it also suggests poor yield on its routes - so don't necessarily expect EZY and FR to be clamouring to fill the void. AFAIK, Bmi Regional is profitable - it just doesn't fit with IAG's operations.

7. Re: BmiBaby winter 2012/2013, will it happen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 14:16