We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China Southern to Vancouver

Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
China Southern to Vancouver

We are traveling from Perth, WA to Vancouver and CSA have come in @ $2000 which is $1500 cheaper than Cathy Pacific the next cheapest. This is Perth - Guangzhou - (with an over nite) Vancouver. However, I am not reading good things about this airline. Has anyone done this leg with them and what was your experience?

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,738 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: China Southern to Vancouver

I have flown them Bangkok - Guangzhou - Los Angeles on a couple of occasions, as well as between Bangkok and Lhasa. The flights were fine, nothing to get too excited about, but likewise nothing to worry about. As you are staying overnight you won't need to deal with their cumbersome transiting procedure.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,603 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: China Southern to Vancouver

Hi,

I've flown them twice now both to and from CAN and LAX-- which is very much the same service (North American) as you'll find to YVR.

Is it bad? No.. What I *would* say is that it's good, but not as 'polished or in the same overall class as a Asiana, JAL, ANA, Singapore or any of the other major well-known and well-rewarded carriers..

but to be fair, CZ isn't all that old of an airline.. So I do tend to give them some leeway in terms of learning how to run and top-rated airline-- and do so in the one of, if not the most competitive region-- Asia..

CAN airport is OK.. It's not a SIN, ICN, HKG or even NRT, but it works..

To me, i'd take CZ if the price was right and it was a savings over a more well known carrier..

In the end, you'll get there.. you'll get fed, seats are about average in terms of Y class wide-body.. but if you're looking for the "wow" factor or the like, then that's not realistic.

To me, I look at CZ, like most of the PRC-based carriers as a value play.. I'd recommend them IF the price was right.. but if there is a flight offered by someone like OZ, NH, JL, SQ or the like, at or near what the PRC carriers are asking, then I'd go with that..

Again, not bad.. but not yet in the same overall class in terms of fit, finish and overall "know how" as to running a world-class carrier and do so in the very competitive Asia region.

Travel Safe,

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: China Southern to Vancouver

At that kind of saving I would say go for it!

As the others have mentioned they are not at Singapore/Cathay standard but I would say for a mainland Chinese airline they are quite good.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,892 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: China Southern to Vancouver

Another option for you: $2540. on Singapore and Korean via Seattle, returning from Vancouver - considerably better quality

5. Re: China Southern to Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 01:16