We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Upper Class to Dubai

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Upper Class to Dubai

Comments please - positive and negative - cheers!

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Upper Class to Dubai

Not done Dubai (for that, prefer Emirates business class) but have Upper Classed LHR to Narita, Japan. Seats were not as roomy or comfortable as we'd expected and there was a bit of a rush to get the blinds down and pax asleep (for a lunchtime flight!). On the other hand, the Club at LHR is amazing, the cabin crew were ace and the food/drinks were a lot better than VS prem economy

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Upper Class to Dubai

I've not flown to Dubai with them but I have done Las Vegas once and Miami a couple of times in Upper Class. As John says, it's a big step up from prem ec. in every way and the Heathrow T3 lounge is fabulous. On board, you'll have a flat bed, and the cabin is laid out in a kind of herringbone pattern so you're not sitting right beside, or looking straight at, someone else. If the Dubai route has the aircraft with the large UC cabin, it's 3 single seats across, two pointing towards each other at an angle and one facing a central divider, the latter giving you even more privacy. Personally, I find the Virgin UC seats more comfortable than BA's club world ones when you're sitting, but much less comfortable when flat - they feel harder, and I never sleep as well.

Hopefully someone will come along who can confirm if they have newish planes on the Dubai route as that makes a big difference to the in-flight entertainment you get and how new the aircraft is. There's been much talk of late about standards slipping at Virgin, but I think that's mainly due to the seriously old aircraft they're still using on some routes they consider predominantly 'tourist' rather than 'business' (like Vegas). I would have thought Dubai was likely to have newer planes - plenty of business travellers as well as tourists, and they will be trying to compete with Emirates, something they could never do with the older planes.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Upper Class to Dubai

And you get a nice comfy pair of PJs to wear.

Suggest you put them on straight away as the toilet gets busy after the meal with everyone wanting to go in and change at the same time.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Upper Class to Dubai

checkout the airline quality website

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Upper Class to Dubai

And you get a nice comfy pair of PJs to wear.

That may be on their second time round the block....VS recycle the pyjamas.

I always put PJs on right as I board, that way if you get something spilled on them during boarding or the meal service you haven't ruined your clothes.

What Virgin do very well is the ground aspect of things; the limo service, drive through check-in and passage through to the Clubhouse. The rest of the product can leave something to be desired by all accounts.

My parents tried Upper Class a few times in quick succession fairly soon after the Suite product came out and raved about the Clubhouse and car service (the ground aspect has only been improved since then), the rest of the product wasn't that great. Really variable cabin crew, in half a dozen or so flights they said that half of the crews were really appalling, the other half rather excellent. They felt more consistency on BA in Club World/First so went back to that instead. They weren't fans of the UCS either, as others here have said they found it too hard and not comfortable in either bed or seat mode. Personally I remedy seats that are too hard by sleeping ON the duvet rather than under it, particularly with the way cabins are kept warm. Even compared to BA they said the food was pretty poor and drinks choice not up to scratch either.

Some people love VS and loathe BA, some are vice versa. Having flown BA in forward cabins since they knew eachother they thought to try something different but didn't see enough reason to switch over. A car service is nice but you can get one for yourself for only about £150 for an S Class from where they live and since T5 came about it's not like the Terminal 5 experience is that poor.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Upper Class to Dubai

<<VS recycle the pajamas>>

Who leaves them behind? I always take them, and then pass them on to a charity shop.

Presumably they launder them before recycling? They probably recycle the pillow slips and duvets too!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Upper Class to Dubai

Who leaves them behind?

People who don't have room in their carry-on or just seem them as a temporary utility like the washbag. I'll sometimes leave mine behind if I can't be bothered to take them or if I'd have a few quick trips in succession so don't need an <insert number>-th pair!

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Upper Class to Dubai

maybe you'll get these, too:

telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9239418/Vi…

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Upper Class to Dubai

I'd not hve thought of Sir Richard as 'melt in the mouth'

The link in the article to the email complaint about food made me LOL - on the bus!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Upper Class to Dubai

Great replies (especially the email complaint). Thank you