We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Heathrow - JFK Heats Up!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,913 posts
340 reviews
Save Topic
London Heathrow - JFK Heats Up!

So BA is now operating 8 daily LHR-JFK flights, and now Virgin Atlantic has announced they'll be "giving British Airways a run for their money on this route" (whatever that means), by going to 4 daily.

Read Below:

Virgin Atlantic is raising its game on its London Heathrow-New York John F. Kennedy route with the addition from 28 October of a fourth daily flight.

This takes the airline's New York flight frequencies to six daily, including its existing two flights to Newark. Virgin Atlantic will operate either an Airbus A330 or A340 on the new flight.

The airline's chief executive Steve Ridgway said the carrier has a "very, very strong suite of products" to "give British Airways a run for its money on the New York route".

Ridgway was speaking at the unveiling of Virgin Atlantic's new upper class product on its new A330-300, which entered service on 21 April.

The new upper class cabin features what the carrier says is the longest lie-flat bed in business class and the longest bar on board at 2.7m long.

The enhanced London-New York service will be boosted by a new London-Mumbai service to complement its Delhi flights, also commencing with the new winter schedule on 28 October.

Ridgway is enthusiastic about the India connection, as London is both a key destination and a natural transition point to New York, Los Angeles and other Virgin Atlantic North America destinations for travellers from that booming economy.

He further underscored Virgin Atlantic's comfortable position as a key player at Heathrow by noting that while Virgin Atlantic has just 3% of the slots at the airport, it commands 60% of the early morning arrivals.

--------------

Very interesting move indeed. I'm not sure what Virgin is trying to achieve, but with BA having 8 a day to JFK, American currently 5 a day, that's 13 between them with that very useful hourly departure schedule. The real question is, is there enough demand for VS to add another frequency? Let's not forget Delta and Kuwait Airways also ply this route. Also, last I checked, Avios Points are still much more valuable in the grand scheme of things than Flying Club miles....

Edited: 11 May 2012, 17:59
London
Level Contributor
9,848 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Heathrow - JFK Heats Up!

The comparisons seem a little mixed up there - quoting BA frequencies out of LHR only against VA (all aiports).

BA actually have more flights than that - I make it 12 flights per day between London (all airports) and New York (all airports). 8 LHR to JFK, 2 LHR to EWR plus 2 LCY to JFK. Then a further 5 operated by AA.

VS are always extremely good at publicity - now they need to back up their story with consistent service.

(They're not very good at consistent publicity - here they are proclaiming the virtues of the A330 - a great aircraft - yet only a few years ago their slogan was 4 engines 4 long haul. Consistent...?)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,898 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Heathrow - JFK Heats Up!

The route consistently gets a lot of passengers. I am on this route (usually BA, occasionally AA if BA is full) a few times a year in various classes. It has never looked anything remotely empty.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,913 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Heathrow - JFK Heats Up!

rcspeirs

<The comparisons seem a little mixed up there - quoting BA frequencies out of LHR only against VA (all aiports).>

No, they're not. I am solely comparing LHR-JFK flights to LHR-JFK flights. That's why I specifically quoted the airport codes and not the city codes. If I said, LON-NYC, I would've included all the other services such as LHR-EWR and LCY-JFK. So the fact remains, between AA/BA, they have currently 13 daily departures on that route, while VS currently has 3. In the Winter, It'll be 12 (8+4) vs 4..... so I'm not sure how they will give BA a run for their money...

Regards

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,884 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Heathrow - JFK Heats Up!

I think we can now fully establish that a certain poster here has a disdain for VA.

5. Re: London Heathrow - JFK Heats Up!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 16:15