We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Austrian Airlines (now Tyrolean)

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Austrian Airlines (now Tyrolean)

Will be using Tyrolean (Austrian) Airlines in August 2013. Booked and Payed for flights from Bangkok to Prague. Unfortunately can not find one good review about this airline. Have I made a huge mistake by booking with this airline??

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,508 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Austrian Airlines (now Tyrolean)

It's just Austrian Airlines that have transferred everything previously done by Austrian Airlines over to it's subsidiary Tyrolean Airways (this was done on 1st July 2012). All planes and most of the crew where transferred (some crew refused, and thereby quit) in an attempt to cut costs.

I can find several good reviews. And any review gives for a flight with Austrian Airlines after 1st July 2012 is in reallity a review of Tyrolean.

Have you looked at http://www.airlinequality.com/

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Austrian Airlines (now Tyrolean)

Thanks I have checked that site. Unfortunately most reviews that I have found haven't been favorable.

Ontario
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Austrian Airlines (now Tyrolean)

Good I have searched the site doing mistake by booking with this airline

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Austrian Airlines (now Tyrolean)

I have only done short flights with Tyrolean but had no problem with them, however if the reviews are recent then obviously there must be some problems but as you've booked your flight there's no point in worrying and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying Austrian Airlines (now Tyrolean)

thanks for your feed back Chrella, Just have to smile and get on with it. In the end I will get there one way or another :)

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,478 posts
434 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying Austrian Airlines (now Tyrolean)

If you check Tyrolean Airways for type of planes. It take you directly to Austria Airways site. translate.google.ca/translate…

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying Austrian Airlines (now Tyrolean)

Just flew Austrian / Tyrolean into and out of Vienna, as one segment of long haul international trips. No problems on the way in, when Austrian was the last segment. But on the way out, when Austrian was the first segment, I had problems. They would not tag my bags all the way to my home destination even though it was clearly listed in my e-ticket itinerary. They said that was Delta's policy, which Delta subsequently denied, and the result of which was I nearly missed the last leg of my homeward flight - had to wait in a long bag check line at JFK. They also made me pay 80 euros for my second bag because they said that Vienna to New York wasn't an international flight, my class of ticket didn't allow for a second bag, and I wasn't doing my whole trip on Star Alliance carriers. Utter nonsense. I will not use this airline again.

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying Austrian Airlines (now Tyrolean)

Thanks very much for your imput, hopefully I will make it in all one piece.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying Austrian Airlines (now Tyrolean)

I flew with Austrian Airlines, July this year.

They are OK, nothing special.

In fact, OK just about sums it up, food was, that just OK, sevice the same.

Entertainment was less than OK, limited choice of dated movies that all started the same time, I gave up in the end.

If I had a choice I would not fly with them again.

However if it meant that was the only way to get to where I wanted to go.

I would.

Vienna
Level Contributor
4,431 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying Austrian Airlines (now Tyrolean)

I flew Vienna - Washington last week and was very pleased. Planes were recently fitted with new seats and brand new entertainment system working like a tablet with touch screen. Food was reasonable good for what one gets these days and free drinks including wine and beer. Staff was very friendly and both flights were on time. Prices were very competitive. Check in was very fast with online boarding and bag drop off.

In comparion I flew also United in US for 5 hour flight - no food and no entertainment system. Second flight one had to pay with credit card to watch TV.

Edited: 06 May 2013, 13:43