We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seat Assignments on Air Canada - Orbitz messed it up!

Maricopa, Arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Seat Assignments on Air Canada - Orbitz messed it up!

So long story short, my wife, myself, and my 2 year old daughter are set to fly from Phoenix, AZ to Toronto, Ontario, Canada tomorrow morning. When I booked our flights, Orbitz online allowed us to select our seat assignment, we selected 3 seats in the back of the plane incase our daughter got fussy we wouldn't bother as many people. Go to check in this morning, the 3 of us now are all sitting all over the plane, none of us anywhere near eachother. They actually assigned my 2 year old her own seat no where near myself or my wife. What the heck is this company thinking, I have called Air Canada and Orbitz who without any hesitation said, "well sorry, we might be able to make movements but can make no guarentees". What do I do, has anyone else had this happen or was anyone able to get it fixed? If so how? Thank you for your help in advance!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seat Assignments on Air Canada - Orbitz messed it up!

no seats are ever guaranteed.

u have to fix the 'spread' of seats at check in or on the plane.

Maricopa, Arizona
Level Contributor
5 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seat Assignments on Air Canada - Orbitz messed it up!

Well I wish Orbitz would say something to that affect online, i have spoken with other people who said the same thing regarding fixing this at the gate tomorrow, looks like tomorrow morning is going to be a fun filled trip to the airport.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seat Assignments on Air Canada - Orbitz messed it up!

This more than likely isn't Orbitz' fault. They did your seat assignments and they were changed by AC for some reason (equipment change maybe or something else). You need to continually check your seats yourself to make sure they haven't changed as they are never guaranteed. You will be able to have one of you with your 2 year old I'm sure, but now that others have booked as well, you will have to get by with what they give you. You should be checking your return seats as well now and on any future flights because if you catch it right away, the odds of getting better seat selection is much higher than 24 hours prior.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seat Assignments on Air Canada - Orbitz messed it up!

I don't think Orbitz messed it up...Air Canada changed your seats.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,325 posts
820 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seat Assignments on Air Canada - Orbitz messed it up!

Why didn't you book directly with Air Canada? I fly with them all the time and never had my seat assignment changed one time.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seat Assignments on Air Canada - Orbitz messed it up!

I always book direct with AC, but I've still had my seat assignments change many times. It happens a lot when they swap aircraft. Just last month, I had seats 2A and 2C booked on an A320 from YYZ to YYC. They swapped out the aircraft for an E190. There is no 2C on that plane. It doesn't matter how you make your reservation, when they change the assigned aircraft, your seat assignments are at risk.

You just have to stay on top of any pending reservations you have.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seat Assignments on Air Canada - Orbitz messed it up!

Seat assignments change all the time, usually with an equipment change...but occasionally for no apparent reason.

One must be pro-active, as mentioned above...and check all of your reservations from the time of booking until OLCI....weekly at least.

If the flight is totally booked , the GA or FA will assist you by asking a passenger if they will volunteer to switch. Your toddler will not be seated without one of you in the next seat.

Best practice is to book directly with the Airline....for so many reasons.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,275 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seat Assignments on Air Canada - Orbitz messed it up!

Sorry to have to point it out, but it's your responsibility to check your reservation and seat assignments frequently - on tbe airline's website - in case things get changed/messed up. The sooner you spot this the better the chance of fixing it.

As already pointed out, in all probability the assignments were changed by Air Canada due to an equipment change or even just a computer glitch. And quite possibly, eagle eyed pax who were watching their reservations got theirs sorted quickly, and may have even nabbed "your" seats. I check my reservations very frequently and have taken advantage of situations like this to nab better seats.

As for AC's "well sorry, we might be able to make movements but can make no guarentees", that probably means they WILL try to get you back together, or at least pair your 2 year old next to one of you. They do hold back some seats so that issues like this (avoid separating children from parents) can be addressed.

Get to the airport very early so that AC can deal with this early in their check in process. And keep checking your reservation just in case something becomes available tonight or first thing tomorrow.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
901 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seat Assignments on Air Canada - Orbitz messed it up!

I find it hard to believe that Orbitz would go into your booking and mess with your seats. Much more likely AC changed your seats around, usually because they changed the type of plane in use. Booking direct with the airline would not have made any difference is this is the case. I've also had seats de-allocated for other reasons (cancellation of an intermediate segment, bumped by higher priority passenger), but plane change is the most likely.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,594 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seat Assignments on Air Canada - Orbitz messed it up!

I can't imagine they won't be able to get at least one of you with the 2 year old. As long as you are not asking someone to change from aisle to middle or something like that, I'd imagine someone would switch. If you can offer them middle to aisle or middle to window you increase your chances. Just make sure you check in online at exactly 24 hours and if you still can't get the seats changed, go early to the airport.

Northwest did the same thing to me when my daughter was less than a year old. They even put her in an aisle seat with her car seat. I told them it was ok if they left her there, but I wasn't sure the poor window seat person would like it. ;-)