We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Canada Rouge

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Air Canada Rouge

Has anyone travelled on Air Canada ROUGE? I am a frequent Air Canada flier can anyone tell me the difference between the two?

Toronto
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Air Canada Rouge

I am finding myself in the same quandry. Many years ago - really? People are accustomed to certain amenities now so looking backward doesn't help anyone. Calling Rouge a discount airline has no bearing on the inflated vacation package prices. Plus, if you are accustomed to Air Canada, you now get ripped off on Aeroplan miles also. You only get a total for the whole trip of 200 miles. I have heard nothing but discouraging things about this new airline and it isn't any wonder the staff are young and inexperience as the whole idea behind this was to get new staff and pay them a whole lot less. I have a few friends that are employees of Air Canada and have been told some pretty interesting stories. I won't fly Rouge unless there is no other option - thank goodness in Toronto there will be other companies to take advantage of the dissatisfied Rouge customers. And, going to Cuba is only on Sundays otherwise you have to travel through Montreal - wait in the airport from 1:15 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. then fly to Cuba! How ludicrous.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Oh it gets better if you are a Hoguin, Cuba flier!

Plane is scheduled to land at 02:20 am. We arrived 1/2 hour earlier at 01:50 am.

That is on a Monday morning, flying out of Holguin at 10:10 pm Sunday night.

I actually heard an argument between a couple in the Holguin airport. She wanted to call in sick on Monday and he did not think it was a good idea. Great flight times for people who are going tor a week and have to work Monday morning. What are they thinking????

3 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Very very strange experience. I flew from Edinburgh to Toronto on Rouge and did not feel secure at all with the inexperienced staff. I can't understand how Transport Canada has allowed this. It was like they were little kids playing flight attendant instead of being flight attendants. It was not at all the service I have been used to with Air Canada.

3 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Very very strange experience. I flew from Edinburgh to Toronto on Rouge and did not feel secure at all with the inexperienced staff. I can't understand how Transport Canada has allowed this. It was like they were little kids playing flight attendant instead of being flight attendants. It was not at all the service I have been used to with Air Canada.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
21 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Actually you''re off on the comments regarding Aeroplan points..

You can get up to 2800 points per direction, depending on the route and fare level of ticket you purchase.. AP points are pretty much useless, so its no wonder that AC has reduced what's given out on the Leisure airline.

I have to sit back and laugh at these comments about the flight crews though.. People whine and complain that the mainline f/a's are old, cranky etc.. Here rouge hires some young folks, who are still getting there feet wet and people STILL complain.. They're not getting paid lower then anyone else, some of them are being paid quite well.. If they didn't like the wages, they obviously wouldn't of taken the job..

They get you from Point A to Point B like every other airline.. There new planes arrive in early 2014, so those who complain about no on board power won't have anything to whine about then.

Can't wait for Westjet to start using the same type of IFE and see how long it takes for people to complain about that too.. Oh wait people already do whine when they find out there's no TV's on the new planes over there..

3 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Air Canada Rouge

So what is your point Cowboy?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Air Canada Rouge

Air Canada Rouge was never intended to be reminiscent of the "Air Canada Mainline" experience nor is it meant to compete with Air Canada. Rouge was designed as an alternative to Air Transat. Therefore, people need to stop comparing it to AC Mainline. If you want AC mainline service, then you must pay extra for it. But for those who save money by flying Air Transat, the alternative to Transat is now Rouge. But the fact of the matter is that often Air Transat isn't that much less than Air Canada mainline. Therefore, it is up to the consumer to do their homework and align their expectations appropriately. Don't fly with Rouge if you typically loyal to Air Canada, the experience will not be the same. Quite frankly, we are spoiled in Canada. Our national airline is miles ahead of many US carriers. Just a couple of years ago I flew United on international routes to Asia - it was main screen the entire way!

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Air Canada Rouge

I would gladly fly mainline, as you call it Air Canada except they don't fly the route I take anymore. So that leaves very little options. It leaves seasonably WestJet, Sunwing, CanJet and now Rouge. Not a great bunch of options in my opinion. I flew Air Canada 4 times to every 1 of the others.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Air Canada Rouge

MrsSmith, you've hit on a good point, in that many of ACs routes are being "rouged" so that flying on mainline is not an option without perhaps adding an inconvenient connection somewhere. This is why I particularly don't like Rouge coming into the market. I generally only fly business class, and none of my typical routes have been affected... yet, but with more routes moving exclusively to Rouge, they are taking away that choice.