We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far can you accompany someone in the airport?

Miami Beach, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
How far can you accompany someone in the airport?

My grandmother who doesn't speak english is going back to Canada and i was wondering how far into the process I can accompany her to tell her where to go etc. Am I able to go past the screening point without a ticket?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,868 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far can you accompany someone in the airport?

It may be possible to get a pass from the airline at the check in desk allowing you to go air side and accompany your grandmother to the gate. I got this a couple of times to accompany my frail (now late) father through to the departure gate at PDX.

2. Re: How far can you accompany someone in the airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 23:31
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How far can you accompany someone in the airport?

If you can get a Gate Pass you can go all the way to her gate - but based on your description probably none of us can guess whether you will be given one.

If she can look really elderly/frail/easily confused it will work better than if she is actually an alert 60 year old grandmother who would have no trouble in her home airport.

I suspect they will be more helpful for a physical/mental support need than for you to be a human phrase book.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,216 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far can you accompany someone in the airport?

If you are too insistent that you accompany her the airline may think she isn't fit for travel ... people travel the world all the time without speaking the language.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far can you accompany someone in the airport?

Hi

ask your airline for assistance they can meet her at security and help her

but if the only problem she has is not speaking english, that is not a big problem

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far can you accompany someone in the airport?

I'd book assistamce for her and wave her off when they take over - as able58 says, pushing too hard will raise questions!

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far can you accompany someone in the airport?

I don't normally disagree with you John but hold on if the lady is fit and healthy, just doesn't understand the lanague that is not what the airport assistance is for, if everyone used special assistance because they don't understand the lanague that will open the system up to a whole load of abuse, and will ultimately make it harder for those that are genuine users!

Deb

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How far can you accompany someone in the airport?

You're right, Deb, I was thinking there was some other reason for needing some level of assistance - we don;t know the lady's age and she may be fully fit and well so not need a chair or other physical help. If that is the case, then the OP needs to contact the airline and airport to see what they can arrange - either a gate pass or a (to be paid for) airport guide. There are huge numbers of people flying every day unable to speak the local language and if that's her only "disability" then she's most likely in the majority!

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,195 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How far can you accompany someone in the airport?

You can get a "gate pass" to accompany her to the gate, and it's fairly simple. I've done this with accompanying a teenager to the gate, on her first "solo" flight. If you want to do this, contact the airline for specifics.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,662 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How far can you accompany someone in the airport?

Hi,

Agree with the others .. Get a gate pass..

Airlines can issue them, at their sole discretion. Who and what cases qualify for one is something that each airport sets themselves..

A representative of each airlines management team as well as leaders from the airport police/law enforcement agency and the TSA's local director (called the Federal Security Director) meet periodically to agree on what cases should qualify and which ones should not.

That's why there can be minor differences about who/what qualifies.

Lastly, do remember that if you get a gate pass - *you* as the pass-holder also must meet the same standards as a traveling passenger..

That means having proper ID, undergoing current TSA screening as well as the same banned and Liquid, Gel, Aerosol limits just like a regular traveling passenger.

I've seen cases where a gate-pass holder was caught by surprise when they didn't realize that since they'll be going into the sterile area, that they'll need to undergo screening as well.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 08 January 2014, 11:57