We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

Galston, Ayrshire
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

Since there have been lots of threads on this subject but not a lot of answers I thought I would share my experience of the new check-in system.

My flight is from Prestwick to Faro on 14.05.14 returning on 21.05.14. The first thing is that you can login to your flight and put your API details in up to 30 days in advance whether or not you intend to check-in. This saves time when you check-in later.

I decided to take a chance on the 7 day free allocated seats. You login to your flight and you are faced with two options, Purchase an allocated seat or free randomly allocated seat. If you chose the second option then it will tell you the date you can check-in. In my case this was 7.05.14. There is a lot of debate about when in the day you can do this so I tried on the 7th at just after midnight even though my flight is at 16:40 it allowed me to check-in. This is great because if you are on a 7 day holiday you can check-in your return flight on the day you leave, saving you paying for a return seat or printing a boarding pass when you are away.

Before I had tried the free option I clicked on the purchase option to see what seats had already been taken. Only 16 out of the 198 seats had been allocated so their take-up of the charges is poor. I did this to see if there was availability of seats together. I should also point out that the seats would cost me £10 each for this flight and £15 for the premium ones.

So I came back out of this option and chose the free seats. You do not get any choice and neither do you know which seats you get until you have completed the process and view / print your boarding cards. We got seats 18D and 18E which are together and I believe the row behind the premium exit seats. This disproves that Satan's Airline would deliberately put one person in the hold and the other outside on the wing if you don't pay up.

Sorry if this is long winded but these are the answers to questions that may help others decide whether to pay or not.

My summary is that if you want to take a chance on the free allocated seats, check-in as early as you can to try and get seated together, but IF it is important for your family or group to get seated together then bite the bullet and pay the price. It also suggests that they fill the plane from the middle first.

215 replies to this topic
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
17,006 posts
401 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

Sound advice from the horses mouth.

thanks

SS

Shropshire
Level Contributor
73 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

I have noticed something else. Whenever we fly as party of 4 Ryanair gives us seat ABC and A (window) or DEF and F(window). When it's only two of us it's D and E (aisle and middle).

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

Thanks for the advice on this thread - very helpful for my forthcoming first ever flight with Ryanair later this year!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

Auristocrat, thanks for your informative post. Probably won't stop the conspiracy theory ranters though :-)

Galston, Ayrshire
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

You will never stop the Ryanair bashers. Jet 2 twice have separated us when the seats were available if you paid for them. Blatant but you never hear a peep against them.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,515 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

"Jet 2 twice have separated us when the seats were available if you paid for them. Blatant but you never hear a peep against them."

Not quite.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k60384…

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

Auristocrat, thanks for sharing your experience. I think it would be great if more people would share & read, as Ryanair is NOT so bad as many think. Your experience is perfectly aligned with my seat allocation theory, which I described at tripadvisor.co.uk/…57244192 . They allocate seats IN ORDER, based on availability, trying to seat groups together:

- Rows 18, 15, 19, 14, 20, 13, 21, 12, etc.

- Seats on Row: A to F

Sussex by the sea
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

I may have to change name if I write replies like this but to be true to form I would say that the pathetic anthem on touchdown and sympathy script for scratch cards makes me try to avoid Ryanair although we've flown with them several times from Bournemouth.

If only I had the time to be organized and check in early like aristocrat!

I checked in for our first flight with the new seating policy a couple of days before the flight and on viewing the seating layout, it was full apart from two adjacent seats near the rear.

I decided that that's what we'd get so proceeded without paying for the seats. (I wouldn't pay out of principle on a short flight such as this one to Majorca)

Lo and behold, the system allocated me two adjacent seats nearer the front which turned out to be the extra legroom exit door seats.

Where's the logic in this, I don't know but I'm not complaining.

I'm sure we'll all be enlightened in time.

Bromsgrove, England
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

My experience is not quite as positive...my view is that although advertised as an improvement, Ryanair's allocated seating is in fact designed to increase profits.

We are flying to Tenerife for a weeks holiday, on the outbound leg I checked availablity of seats and saw that only a handful had been pre-booked but when I checked-in my wife and were allocated seats at different ends of the plane.

Flying back a week later, I was forced to pre-book seats if I didn't want the hassle of having to find somewhere to print boarding passes whilst on holiday (Aurisocrats suggestion of waiting until past midnight on the day of departure would have meant that I couldn't get an early night prior to a 4.00am start)

Sadly, I imagine that even with allocated seating there will still be a scrum for boarding as people will want to 'bag' the limited cabin storage.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

@Bromsgrove, were you and your wife travelling on the same booking?

I totally agree that Ryanair did this for profit. I guess that nobody expects them to be a charity company, isn't it?

Reply to: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted