We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

Galston, Ayrshire
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
15 reviews
Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

Since there have been lots of threads on this subject but not a lot of answers I thought I would share my experience of the new check-in system.

My flight is from Prestwick to Faro on 14.05.14 returning on 21.05.14. The first thing is that you can login to your flight and put your API details in up to 30 days in advance whether or not you intend to check-in. This saves time when you check-in later.

I decided to take a chance on the 7 day free allocated seats. You login to your flight and you are faced with two options, Purchase an allocated seat or free randomly allocated seat. If you chose the second option then it will tell you the date you can check-in. In my case this was 7.05.14. There is a lot of debate about when in the day you can do this so I tried on the 7th at just after midnight even though my flight is at 16:40 it allowed me to check-in. This is great because if you are on a 7 day holiday you can check-in your return flight on the day you leave, saving you paying for a return seat or printing a boarding pass when you are away.

Before I had tried the free option I clicked on the purchase option to see what seats had already been taken. Only 16 out of the 198 seats had been allocated so their take-up of the charges is poor. I did this to see if there was availability of seats together. I should also point out that the seats would cost me £10 each for this flight and £15 for the premium ones.

So I came back out of this option and chose the free seats. You do not get any choice and neither do you know which seats you get until you have completed the process and view / print your boarding cards. We got seats 18D and 18E which are together and I believe the row behind the premium exit seats. This disproves that Satan's Airline would deliberately put one person in the hold and the other outside on the wing if you don't pay up.

Sorry if this is long winded but these are the answers to questions that may help others decide whether to pay or not.

My summary is that if you want to take a chance on the free allocated seats, check-in as early as you can to try and get seated together, but IF it is important for your family or group to get seated together then bite the bullet and pay the price. It also suggests that they fill the plane from the middle first.

215 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
254 posts
35 reviews
31. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

http://www.jet2.com/extras/seating I have searched and I found this which may help clarify things folk , I had not read this myself before and would have been better informed if I had found this earlier.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
35 reviews
32. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

We are travelling to fuertaventura with ryanair in dec. 2 adults and a 3 year so obviously it's essential we sit with her ! But I'm not bothered about keeping bags (you can also take a handbag now so can have essentials in there). We didn't choose seats when we booked. If we don't pay the £5 to choose seats and go for the pot luck ones is it too late then to go back if the seats aren't together ??

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,854 posts
72 reviews
33. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

I would check in as soon as possible. If they are available, you will automatically get three seats together. The sooner you check in, the more likely it will be.

I have just looked at the seat map for my next flight on Thursday. Check in has been open for a couple of days and fewer than 50 seats have been assigned. It could be that on a more popular route at the weekend things will be tighter, but as long as you are quick off the mark you shouldn't have a problem.

If for any reason you are split up, you will have to call and see if anything can be done. Bear in mind though that as long as one of you is seated next to the child that is sufficient.

p.s. I just looked at Monday's flight from Stansted to Fuertaventura. Most seats are gone but there are still about 10 rows of three together mostly right at the back.

Edited: 10 May 2014, 12:03
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
18,031 posts
410 reviews
34. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

Her flight is not until December,but if I was her I would go into "manage my booking" and pay for seats now alleviating 6 months worry.

SS

ps DC8 easy done,I speed read & cock things up some times.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,854 posts
72 reviews
35. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

Yes I know SS. I was looking at flights for which check in has already opened to see what the state of of play was. Even two days before the flight there is still a reasonable number of 3s together at least on the samples I looked at. It certainly looks like most people aren't paying, so by checking in as soon as check in opens I would say there is almost a 100% chance of three seats together.

You can of course check (by making a dummy booking) two or three weeks before and if it looks like things are filling up, pay for seats then.

Edited: 10 May 2014, 13:03
Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
188 posts
35 reviews
36. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

Thanks both - I'm thinking I will leave it until maybe a month before and see what the plane is looking like. I am a bit of a worrier lol ! So maybe £30 is a low price to pay for piece of mind

Illinois
Level Contributor
19,301 posts
16 reviews
37. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

If I were flying with a 3 year old, I would pay for seat selection. I don't think they guarantee seats together even if they are available if you go for the random seat selection. (Although I haven't actually checked that.)

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,854 posts
72 reviews
38. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

They don't guarantee you will be seated together but in practice you will be if the seats are available: That has been people's experience so far. It doesn't make sense to split people up if adjacent seats are available.

"We will endeavour to seat families together however this will not always be possible. If you want to be guaranteed seats together we recommend that seats are purchased. If you chose not to select and purchase a seat and have been randomly allocated seats which are not together please contact our call centre so that we may try to assist you."

Galston, Ayrshire
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
15 reviews
39. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

The seat prices are from £5 each. On my flight they were £10 each so that's an extra £60 in total both ways for 3 of you. At a month in advance I don't expect many seats to be taken. As I said with 7 days to go only 16 seats in total were allocated.

Ultimately it's your decision.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
254 posts
35 reviews
40. Re: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience

I would rather book seats together and economize on the hold bags and just have 1 bag between a couple of us + the cabin bags of course, there's nothing worse than having to be split up and be seated next to someone either snoring or none stop talking to you about their selves the whole time etc or someone from part of a stag do who spend the journey shouting back and forth to their palls etc lol .

Reply to: Ryanair's new seating policy my experience
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted