We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Malaysian transit visa required (Air Asia Fly-Thru)?

Hyderabad, Andhra...
7 posts
Is Malaysian transit visa required (Air Asia Fly-Thru)?

Hi, I'm an Indian citizen and have booked an Air Asia flight from Bangalore to Manila (Philippines). Both ways, I have stop-overs in Kuala Lumpur (of 5-and-a-half-hours and 9-and-a-half hours respectively). My flights both arrive and leave from KLIA2, so I won't need to exit the airport at all.

I had read on the Air Asia website that for stop-overs exceeding six hours, a Malaysian visa is required so I called Air Asia customer care to confirm, and was informed that since I'm a Fly-Thru passenger, I do NOT require a Malaysian visa, and will NOT need to go through immigration at Kuala Lumpur.

But here's where it gets confusing: the Malaysian Embassy customer care tells me that even if I'm flying Air Asia and am a fly thru passenger, I DO require a Malaysian visa. I was under the impression that passengers of both Malaysian Airlines and Air Asia do not require visas for connecting flights. (I have a friend who travelled with Malaysian Airlines last year, and he spent 5 hours in Kuala Lumpur International Airport WITHOUT a visa!) But the Embassy customer care executive told me that as per his information, anybody who spends time at the airport on the way from India to the Philippines (regardless of the airline) requires a Malaysian visa.

Air Asia customer care insists that the Malaysian Embassy is mistaken about this, and I am now tremendously confused. Obviously, either the airlines or the embassy has given me wrong information.

Does anyone know if I need a Malaysian visa? I'd really appreciate any replies.

200 replies to this topic
Berry, Australia
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
196 reviews
1. Re: Is Malaysian transit visa required (Air Asia Fly-Thru)?

SO the question you are asking is:

Do I believe the Malaysian Embassy advice or that of Air Asia / TA members?

The answer is clear!

scotland
Level Contributor
176 posts
63 reviews
2. Re: Is Malaysian transit visa required (Air Asia Fly-Thru)?

I did not need a transit visa when transiting Bangkok>kl>London with MH in July but you will be flying through the other airport terminal for low cost carriers so I don't know if the situation is the same there. Id agree with the above poster that the embassy is the one to go with.

Why not call the back again, play dumb and see if you get the same answer off someone else at the embassy, if you do - go with it.

Hyderabad, Andhra...
7 posts
3. Re: Is Malaysian transit visa required (Air Asia Fly-Thru)?

Thank you both for your responses.

Actually, I did call the embassy again and spoke to a different person, who also told me that the visa is required. But this time, I questioned him a bit further and got the following information:

According to him, a Malaysian tourist visa is required in my case because as I'm flying from India to the Philippines, I am not eligible to get the "transit pass" at immigration, therefore I need to get a visa. However, I asked him "Will I be going through immigration at all? Because my airlines says I won't be going through immigration (because I'll proceed directly to the transfer hall), and therefore don't need a visa." He responded that he can't give me that information since he represents only the embassy and not immigration. He said, "I can't tell you whether or not you'll be going through immigration there." In other words, all he can tell me is, PROVIDED I go through immigration, I do need a visa.

Furthermore, when I told him that an Indian friend of mine travelled to the Philippines via KL WITHOUT a visa less than a year ago (because my friend didn't have to go through immigration), he could not explain how/why this was allowed.

I'm still not entirely sure what to believe but I'm somewhat inclined to think that AirAsia is right about this. If I'm not going through immigration, why would I need a visa?

Berry, Australia
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
196 reviews
4. Re: Is Malaysian transit visa required (Air Asia Fly-Thru)?

So, let me get this right....

You called the embassy again, told them your reasoning as to why you think you do not need the visa, and they still told you that you must have the visa.

Yet, you have decided to ignore that.

I have also travelled via KL many times in transit and did not need to clear customs. However, there are many reasons why you may need to clear immigration. Flight disruptions / cancellations / terminal transfers due to unforseen circumstances etc etc.

POST 1 IS THE CORRECT ANSWER - any other answer in 100% incorrect. Ignore it at your own risk

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Is Malaysian transit visa required (Air Asia Fly-Thru)?

According to this Travellers Article from the Kuala Lumpur forum, Indian passport holders are able to Transit Without Visa (TWOV) through the LCCT now KLIA2 on a Fly Thru due to a specific agreement between MAS and AirAsia with the Malaysian Government. tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g293951-c142389/Mal…

Level Contributor
6,151 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Is Malaysian transit visa required (Air Asia Fly-Thru)?

Ive did fly thru on Air Asia a few times now, and ive never needed to go thru Immigration or Customs when changing flights.

Ive only ever had to show my Ticket at the fly thru counter which is Air Side of the airport and then went straight to my gate.

Hyderabad, Andhra...
7 posts
7. Re: Is Malaysian transit visa required (Air Asia Fly-Thru)?

Thanks everyone for your responses!

The mystery is finally solved: Today I went to the Malaysian Visa Application Centre here in Hyderabad, just to confirm once and for all whether I should get a Malaysian visa or not. I showed them my AirAsia ticket and explained the whole problem, i.e. the discrepancy between their call centre's information and AirAsia's information. And they said I do NOT require a visa. The guy's explanation was very simple: "You do not need a Malaysian visa because you won't be entering Malaysia." He said I should do what my airline tells me to. This makes sense to me because the airline knows where and how I get my boarding pass, and whether I have clear immigration or not.

Furthermore, I found some information on the official website of the Malaysian consulate (Chennai): http://www.kln.gov.my/web/ind_chennai/faqs

The last two sections at the bottom of the page confirm I don't need a visa. In fact, the last line even mentions that AirAsia offers transit facility for certain routes with a single-PNR ticket, which is exactly what I have.

8. Re: Is Malaysian transit visa required (Air Asia Fly-Thru)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 16:39

9. Re: Is Malaysian transit visa required (Air Asia Fly-Thru)?

@Wanderer849:

Your last post has the correct answer that, you do not need any Transit Visa. I am also a Indian citizen travelling from MNL - KUL - BLR (round trip) from AirAsia in early 2015.

I was also very much confused about this concern. After I spoke to several times to Immigration Officials at KLIA 2. I was confirmed that anyone travelling through a KUL with the same flight doesn't need any Transit Visa until unless he try to cross immigration and go out of the airport.

In case if you want to re-confirm the same for safe side.. You may dial below numbers from Immigration office at KLIA 2

Land line: +603-877 854 61/62.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
409 reviews
10. Re: Is Malaysian transit visa required (Air Asia Fly-Thru)?

As you are a citizen from the Indian subcontinent, you are offered the TWOV (Transit Without Visa) facility if you meet the criteria stated on the website of the Malaysian Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

kln.gov.my/web/che_berne/other_information/-…

Edited: 24 November 2014, 06:07
Reply to: Is Malaysian transit visa required (Air Asia Fly-Thru)?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted