We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WARNING - Do not book with Flight Network!!!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
WARNING - Do not book with Flight Network!!!

Here is the description of my terrible experience with FlightNetwork:

I needed to book round trip tickets to Copenhagen for 3 people. We searched Google flights for the best deal and found a round trip flight for $843 from Flight Network. Since we needed to book using 3 different credit cards, I called FlightNetwork for the booking to ensure that we all get the same price and availability. First, it takes the agent forever to find the flight I am talking about (even using the flight numbers). Then, the agent tells me that the price I am seeing is due to a “glitch” in the system but they would honour this price. I am put on hold for long periods of time in order for the agent to come to this conclusion. It is already 30 minutes that I’m on the call and I have no new information other than the information I already had accessed online in less than 2 minutes. I tell the agent I would like to book with 3 credit cards and apply a promo code (for $20 discount per booking). The agent then asks me for the credit card numbers. Without asking me for my promo code, she has already applied a random promo code that gives $10 discount. I was frustrated at the incompetence of the agent and the long wait times so I decided I would continue the transaction online. I hang up with the agent, go through the online booking system, put in my credit card, click on “Purchase Now”, only to get a pop up that says the online system could not confirm my fare. I refresh the page and suddenly the flight is showing up at $896. I call back 5 minutes after I’ve hung up with the agent the first time, and she tells me that flight prices have gone up. I now decide to proceed with the booking anyway as it is urgent enough for me to book this flight. Another 45 minutes goes by, again long hold times, and my 3 flights are now booked. I receive emails with details of the booking but no invoice. I told myself I would call the next day to ask about the invoice. The next day, I notice the flight is showing at $843 again! And, on top of that, when I log in to the Air Canada website to manage my booking, the purchase price is actually at $843. So when I call back FlightNetwork, I tell them about this and I also tell them that I can’t even confirm what has been charged because I never received an invoice. Again, more ridiculously long hold times - every time, I ask a question, the agent tells me to hold on, puts me on hold for 5-10 minutes and comes back throwing up an answer she received from someone else. What is the point of customer care agents when they have to consult every question. Initially, the agent tells me that she says I was charged $843 mistakenly. I am so confused. Then, she comes back and says oh no, it was $896 that you were charged. Complete chaos!! She sends me the invoice which says that I am paying $285 for the flight and $611.57 in taxes totalling $896.57. Then I tell her that the flight is back to $843 on their website. She says she cannot see this price in their database. I am literally refreshing the page as I speak to the agent and am seeing $843. I had to send a screenshot of what I am seeing on their website to them to prove that I am seeing this price!! She then says that because the flight is book, she cannot refund the difference but can provide it as a credit due to their price drop protection. I was not satisfied with this but looked like I didn’t have another option so I agree and she tells me that it will appear in my account within 3-5 business days. It has been 4 and still nothing but we will see. During the call, I ask to speak with a supervisor and she tells me that the supervisor will basically tell me the same thing… The total time for this call was 1 hour.

Then I finally see the charge on my credit card - I see 2 charges. One with the description AIR CANADA totalling $843 and another with description TASF totalling $53. I google TASF and find out this mean travel agent service fee. I am so furious now as they never informed me that this was part of the price they quoted to me!! It is not even detailed in the invoice. I tried calling and the agent tells me that this doesn’t need to be detailed to me, it is part of the total price but I am still not convinced. This is only $53 but the principle of the matter, I was not informed of the details of the charges to my credit card, let alone the absolutely horrible service, I am sure this is in violation of some consumer protection act or travel agents act. Overall absolutely terrible terrible nightmarish experience with FlightNetwork. Not worth the headache and lack of transparency. Embarrassing that this is a Canadian company.

203 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
44 reviews
1. Re: WARNING - Do not book with Flight Network!!!

So sorry about your frustrating experience. Yours is a good example of why I choose not to deal with third party airline ticket booking sites. Any savings, to me, is not worth the headaches.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
10,347 posts
105 reviews
2. Re: WARNING - Do not book with Flight Network!!!

Buy from the airlines directly. As you found out, they have essentially the same prices and far less trauma and risk. If you look closely, the third parties do disclose their fees. They don't get much of a discount, if anything, from the airlines. They need to make money somehow.

All they do is take your information as you entered it and they re-enter it onto a booking system and then charge you money. They aren't a agent. They don't provide those services. Good luck with your trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
651 posts
121 reviews
3. Re: WARNING - Do not book with Flight Network!!!

I booked a trip on BA.com last week, price £305 for two, put in my card details and 2 minutes later had confirmation email, booking direct with airline is simplez.

Edited: 16 August 2015, 18:00
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: WARNING - Do not book with Flight Network!!!

I've taken note to buy from airlines next time but my post was for those thinking of booking with Flight Network. It is not evident when you see that the price of the flight on Flight Network is $300 cheaper, to go with the more expensive option. At the time of my booking, Flight Network was showing $843 and Air Canada was selling the same flight for over $1100. So for the person looking to find the best deal, it is tempting to go with Flight Network.

Edited: 16 August 2015, 18:02
London, United...
Level Contributor
651 posts
121 reviews
5. Re: WARNING - Do not book with Flight Network!!!

Tempting but Air Canada doesn't sell its tickets 25% cheaper through agents, if it looks too good to be true it usually is.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: WARNING - Do not book with Flight Network!!!

Despite the troubles, I have the tickets at $300 cheaper and was able to make my seat selection on the Air Canada website, so yes it is possible. My point is just that Flight Network sucks as a company.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5,079 posts
432 reviews
7. Re: WARNING - Do not book with Flight Network!!!

Since Delta Airlines first initiated not paying travel agents commissions many years ago, travel agencies have pretty much attached a service fee for bookings. Perhaps you could have asked if there were any other charges associated with booking this flight with them.

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
8. Re: WARNING - Do not book with Flight Network!!!

I shared a similar frustrating experience as the original poster and urge all those to be very wary when booking through Flight Network. I am sure the majority of bookings proceed without issue, but after having such a terrible experience with Flight Network I would never risk booking with them again.

I shared a similar experience with the original poster in that we initially booked our flights via flight network due to their deceptively low prices. We were contacted several hours later that the flight price has increased by $500 each ticket. Had we known this to be the case we would have booked with another website. I have no doubt that Flight Network posts deceptively low prices intentionally to ensnare customers.

As if this wasn't frustrating enough when we arrived to check-in for our flight we were told that our reservation had been cancelled by the airline due to an error on the booking agency part. We had already been issued the electronic ticket and had not expected to be turned away at the airport.

We promptly called Flight Network to resolve the issue but the customer service representatives we spoke with were completely useless and refused to take responsibility for their mistake. They offered to cancel and rebook our flight AT OUR EXPENSE , in which we would have to pay both cancellation and rebooking fees.

No one at Flight Network made any admission of error, or took responsibility for our situation.

I would never book with Flight Network again, and have learned my lesson to avoid third party booking as much as possible. I am sharing my experience with others to urge everyone else to be cautious when using Flight Network specifically. This company has no respect for their customers whatsoever.

My experience is not an isolated one. A quick google search will show several complaints online included a news article written by CBC sharing a similar experience as my own.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
21 reviews
9. Re: WARNING - Do not book with Flight Network!!!

Christina M, fingers crossed for you it stays that way.

Let me tell you, if one tiny thing goes wrong, you're up for one hell of a ride.

Chances are things will be fine, but if they're not, you won't be thinking about your $300.

SMB

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
10. Re: WARNING - Do not book with Flight Network!!!

Terrible web site.

Reply to: WARNING - Do not book with Flight Network!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted