We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair flight delayed for 4 hrs - Compensation question

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
166 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair flight delayed for 4 hrs - Compensation question

Hi to all the resident experts. A question that I am to inexperienced to answer, so maybe you can help. 2 passengers travelling from CIA (Rome) to PFO (Paphos) and the Ryanair flight on 08/04/2016 was delayed for 4 hours or so. Ground crew said the delay was due to mechanical problem. My question: under EU regulations, are we entitled to any form of compensation (more than 3 hours, 1950km, both EU airports) or because we eventually travelled on the same flight and no overnight stay was required, then we are not entitled. Tried to go to the link provided by Ryanair, but it is an expense form to claim meals and other incidental expenses. The link is: https://eu261claims.ryanair.com/

Thank you all

Andreas

201 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
23,578 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair flight delayed for 4 hrs - Compensation question

If it was a mechanical delay and you were over three hours late to your final destination. then yes you would be entitled to compensation under current eu261 regulations.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,720 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair flight delayed for 4 hrs - Compensation question

You are entitled to compensation for delays over 3 hours as long as it's not for a reason outside the airlines control such as adverse weather.

Ryanair might try to say the mechanical issue was extra ordinary but this wouldn't normally be accepted.

The claim for meals etc relates to duty of care requirements that the airline has to provide regardless of the reason for the delay.

Ryanair will probably dispute/reject the claim initially so be ready for a fight.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
166 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair flight delayed for 4 hrs - Compensation question

Thank you both for the quick reply. What confuses me is that Ryanair in their website have a Refund form for expenses only. They do not mention anything on compensation beyond the expenses, if any, incurred while waiting. Oh, well, onwards with the claim and will post back with the outcome.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,720 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair flight delayed for 4 hrs - Compensation question

This UK website has a good guide to EU 261 that might get you started.

moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
166 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair flight delayed for 4 hrs - Compensation question

A final question. To get started, do I just send an email, or do I fill the info requested at the Ryanair website? The infor requested refers only to incurred expenses - thence my confusion.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,720 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair flight delayed for 4 hrs - Compensation question

Either send them an email or letter claiming the compensation for the delay - 400 Euros. (see the website I gave earlier)

Ignore the incurred expenses unless you did incur costs on meals etc.

You can claim for both expenses and compensation.

7. Re: Ryanair flight delayed for 4 hrs - Compensation question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 April 2016, 00:35

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair flight delayed for 4 hrs - Compensation question

>>>> What confuses me is that Ryanair in their website have a Refund form for expenses only, they do not mention anything on compensation <<<<

There's a reason for that.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,731 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair flight delayed for 4 hrs - Compensation question

#7 looks suspiciously like advertizing. Check the poster's name and the website linked to.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair flight delayed for 4 hrs - Compensation question

USB, #7 reported

Reply to: Ryanair flight delayed for 4 hrs - Compensation question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted