We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I use a valid UK standard visitor visa for transit?

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Can I use a valid UK standard visitor visa for transit?

I have a valid UK multiple entry standard visitor visa. But this time I'm actually going through London in transit - flying in, staying overnight in the airport hotel and then going to another country from another airport.

I know there is a special visitor in transit visa for such cases (and based on my nationality I need one), but my question is if I can use my existing standard visitor visa (which technically allows to do a more extensive visit, but not sure if just transit is also fine under it) to cover my transit?

Or would it be enough to say that I want to see London on my way to have my visit classified as tourism (i.e. become consistent with the type of visa I have) rather than transit despite the short period of stay?

15 replies to this topic
1. Re: Can I use a valid UK standard visitor visa for transit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 November 2016, 12:32
Edited: 11 November 2016, 12:32

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,256 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I use a valid UK standard visitor visa for transit?

If you have a visa, you have a visa, and as long as you don't violate the terms of the visa, it is valid.

The length of the "visit" doesn't matter. If you have a valid tourist visa that's all you need.

Always of course with the caveat that an immigration officer can refuse you admission on the day notwithstanding what documentation you have.

Edit:

LuddendenTurk, the OP is talking about transiting in London. Not sure where you got Turkey from, unless that's his nationality, ie a Turk living in the US.

Edited: 11 November 2016, 12:31
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,731 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I use a valid UK standard visitor visa for transit?

Welcome to the forum.

Please ignore #1. The link they've posted is for visas for Turkey, not the United Kingdom.

If you have a valid Standard Visitor's visa for the United Kingdom then yes you can enter the UK on that for an overnight stay and depart the next day.

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
6,291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I use a valid UK standard visitor visa for transit?

My apology, I have now removed my reply #1. I had 2 tabs open and thought that I was on the Turkey forum.

Edited: 11 November 2016, 12:34
New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I use a valid UK standard visitor visa for transit?

Thank you for your response! My nationality is Belarus, but I guess it does not matter as long as a visa is required. The caveat is that transit by itself is not tourism or business which a general visitor visa is technically designed for. My confusion is on if transit is still covered or do I need a separate type of visa for that unless I'll be able to make a case that my visit is more than just transit (and actually I do like to see a city anyway).

On the other hand I heard I can try to use a US green card (which I also have) asking for "transit without visa" - is that the case? But in any case I just want to have a consistent strategy before I come so that I present my case clear to the border officer rather than confusing him re the nature of my visit and what do I want to use for it (visa or a green card).

Or does anyone knows how to contact the UK border agency with a question like that? Unfortunately the e-mail they have on the UK visas and immigration page is not helpful at all - at best they keep giving some useless links to the general visa info I already know which does not really address the question...

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,256 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I use a valid UK standard visitor visa for transit?

As USBT and I have said, don't worry about it.

I regularly book travel for people going to international conferences. In particular we have Kenyans who have multi-year, multi-entry UK visas who travel from Nairobi to NYC via London, often with an overnight stay so they can visit our office. Never had a problem just staying one night.

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I use a valid UK standard visitor visa for transit?

Thank you all for your reply! I feel more assured now.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,731 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I use a valid UK standard visitor visa for transit?

Stanly,

Your UK Visitor's visa will definitely count and you should show that. If you did not have a Standard Visitor Visa, then this link (UK Government) lists the exceptions to a transit visa that are granted.

https:/…yes

Your US Permanent Residence card would allow you TWOV as follows "you have a valid USA permanent residence card issued by the USA on or after 21 April 1998".

Have a great trip.

Edited: 11 November 2016, 14:59
Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I use a valid UK standard visitor visa for transit?

Hi, I am permanent resident of Canada (and Indian Nationality passport holder)and have valid visitor visa (standard) for UK. I traveled as a tourist in Aug 2017 and it is still valid until Feb 2018. Now I am travelling to India in Jan 2018 and planning to go outside from London Heathrow airport during 9 hrs layover. My question is, do I also need a transit visa even though I have a valid tourist visa for UK ? Please advise and thank you.

UK
Level Contributor
6,753 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I use a valid UK standard visitor visa for transit?

#9, if it's a multiple-entry visa you're good to go.

Reply to: Can I use a valid UK standard visitor visa for transit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted