We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paying onboard bill

prestonlancashire
Level Contributor
99 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
paying onboard bill

Hi,can anyone tell me if it is best to let the cruise company convert our bill from dollars to pounds,or pay in dollars and let the credit card company convert it.Ta

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: paying onboard bill

I always let my credit card company convert, they screw you slightly less than the cruiseline screws you !

Chatham, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Cruises
Level Contributor
4,970 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paying onboard bill

Steven is right as usual, but IMO it's more than "slightly".

My Canadian credit card charges me about 3% to convert from US$ to C$. The cruise line rates are 10% or more.

And let's not even mention the time I was using a credit card denominated in US$, and they converted the US$ to C$, and the card had to convert BACK.

OUCH, *ouch* ouch....

PS - do any UK banks do that? Issue credit cards that bill you in US$ rather than £?)

Edited: 13 March 2012, 12:24
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: paying onboard bill

I do believe they exist Fannish, but are extremely rare.

Its 25 years since I was working in the UK banking sector ( boo hiss ! ).. and I do recall something.

And no, I dont work there these days and havent done since !

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: paying onboard bill

In addition to indicating on the documents that we want to be billed in US$ (and highlighting the copy that I give them at boarding), I usually stop by guest relations a few days prior to the end of the cruise to make sure that this has been noted on my account. There's much less aggravation doing this than having to deal with it once the cruise has ended. It's not uncommon for admin to miss noting your request on a form.

Also, read the wording carefully where it asks which currency you want to be billed in ... I've seen some pretty convoluted wording (with double negatives) that would make you think you were requesting to be billed in US$, but it's just the opposite.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
4,623 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: paying onboard bill

I usually give the cruise line my CC for initial set up then go near the end of the cruise & pay in cash

I have already paid the conversion fee getting USD so why pay more fees

If you do just want to use the CC..... DO NOT let the cruise line convert it for you

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,430 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: paying onboard bill

Absolutely do not let the cruise line (or a hotel for that matter) convert FOREX transactions for you.

I recall one instance where I inadvertantly ticked the wrong box as the wording was confusing and the check in person wasn't sure either. I saw the Purser's desk on day 2 to clarify what it meant and they were reluctant to change it but did so, thankfully, because at that time the AUD was worth about half as much as it is now and the FOREX that the cruise line used at that time meant that we would have paid around a third more.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: paying onboard bill

Hi All,

Another Canadian here who says DO NOT LET THE CRUISE LINE DO THE CONVERSION.

Typically you have to choose your Currency of choice, and give them a Credit Card number either when you book (most often), And / OR when you check in for the cruise.

In our case we always pay in US Dollars with our US Currency Card (skipping the 3% Foreign Currency rate charged by our Canadian Credit ON TOP of FAIR EXCHANGE)... OR ... the 10% Currency Conversion Rate charged by Cruise Lines ON TOP of FAIR EXCHANGE

Example, currently US and Canadian Dollar are aprox AT PAR... and yet the Cruise Lines are doing a mark-up of aprox 10% to pay in Canadian Currency with a Canadian Credit Card...

NOTE - Most cruise lines won't let you change the currency after you book.... so make sure you book with the one that you figure to be the most advantageous to you.

AND... You always have the option of paying off your Onboard Account in US Dollars or with Travellers Cheques as well. Many UK Travellers seem to do that... works if you book a cruise far in advance, then can BUY US Currency when the rates are most in your favour.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 14 March 2012, 17:33
8. Re: paying onboard bill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 03:16