We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 across seating

central California
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
2 across seating

A couple of years ago, we took a Road Scholar trip to Ireland and they secured 2 across seating for us at a cost of about $100 per person per leg of the trip. As we both have some physical limitations, this was perfect and I didn't mind the extra cost. Business class is out of our budget. Sadly, Road Scholar trips have become too challenging and I am arranging a trip in May to Scotland. I have spoken to a AAA travel agent about helping with arrangements but they seem not to do air reservations anymore. I don't know if I can work out the logistics of finding options for 2 across myself. Are there any sources that you more experienced travelers can recommend? Thank you.

7 replies to this topic
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,991 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: 2 across seating

Try the airlines themselves. If these are proven limitations, they may be able to assist. We had flights booked on BA in WT+ and due to my vision issues (legally blind) were able to get seats pre-assigned at no cost. Check the airlines special assistance sections for possible options.

South of England
Level Contributor
3,436 posts
185 reviews
2. Re: 2 across seating

The ability to have the “two”block of seating will depend on the airline you fly and the aircraft type used.

Did you fly Aer Lingus before on one of their A330 aircraft? They have an economy/coach layout of 2-4-2.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,885 posts
72 reviews
3. Re: 2 across seating

We also prefer the two abreast seating due to physical issues. We book our tickets wherever possible with the type of aircraft in mind.

Generally speaking, on longhaul, the A330/340 aircraft are in a 2-3-2 layout, and these are the ones we go for. A few airlines have 777s in a 2-5-2 layout as well.

As suggested, it really is a question of looking first at what airlines fly the route you are interested in and then seeing what aircraft they fly. If you search on a site like kayak.com from your departure to GLA or EDI you can see what the options are. You can look at seat plans on the airline websites or at www.seatguru.com and then simply choose an airline that offers blocks of two and select your seats when you book (directly with the airline)

From California to Scotland you will almost certainly have to change, and I think Aer Lingus via Dublin will be your only realistic choice with a two seat option. www.aerlingus.com That has an added advantage of pre-clearing US customs and immigration on the way back.

Edited: 09 November 2018, 03:54
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
4. Re: 2 across seating

From where to where and when please. There are some seasonal flights, and there are several aircraft with seating in two's, used by several airlines. It will all depend on your routing

All 767's have 2-3-2 seating, all Airbus A330's have 2-4-2 seating, all FlyBe's aircraft have 2 seating and they connect to many airlines to serve Scotland

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,885 posts
72 reviews
5. Re: 2 across seating

The OP said next May to Scotland, presumably from central California.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
6. Re: 2 across seating

Ah, thanks Douglas. I missed the May part but caught the Scotland, so at least the seasonals are running

central California
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
7. Re: 2 across seating

Yes, May, but my daughter lives in Portland and last time we flew out of there to Shannon with one stop at JFK. If Portland, it limits the airlines but also the size of the planes. The information you have provided is very helpful. I don't mind a change because it breaks up the tedium.

Reply to: 2 across seating
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions