We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best flight plan from Melbourne to Nassau

Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best flight plan from Melbourne to Nassau

Hi all, I am flying to Nassau in September from Melbourne. I am on a tight itinerary so am looking for a recommendation in terms of the best route. I need to arrive on the 6th and would ideally like to leave late on the 12th or potentially the 13th. It looks like my wife may need to travel on her own a day later(leaving 6th and arriving 7th). The shortest timeline seems to be flying direct to LAX, then to Miami and own to Nassau but I could lay over in Miami for 10-12 hours and try to beat the jet lag. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Rod

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best flight plan from Melbourne to Nassau

Qantas MEL to LAX .. then American Airlines LAX to Miami... sounds the best way. You will have to go through immigration and customs at LAX .. being the first port of call on US soil... so allow 3 hours minimum before getting the next flight.

For a hotel stopover in Miami, have a look at the Intercontinental Miami .. has some great prices .. and it's on the waters edge .. walking distance around the bay to the Bayside Market Place ... even for only 10 or 12 hours.

Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best flight plan from Melbourne to Nassau

Thanks for this! Appreciated

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best flight plan from Melbourne to Nassau

There is also a hotel right in the airport that I believe has day rooms/day rates - in case your flight schedule is such that you have 8 hours or so.

www.miahotel.com

Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best flight plan from Melbourne to Nassau

Thanks Kittycatwoman!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best flight plan from Melbourne to Nassau

Actaully no I think you would be better to take the QF flight Mel to Syd to Dallas and then direct from Dallas to Nassau..

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best flight plan from Melbourne to Nassau

Trouble with that is SYD-DFW arrives just after the only DFW-NAS nonstop has left.I would go with MEL-LAX-MIA-NAS. Long trip,but I would go straight through and get it over with.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best flight plan from Melbourne to Nassau

Well the OP has already suggested that they would stop over in MIA -so I suggest a stopover in Dallas instead. At least with the DFW option they only have to negotiate one US airport and IME DFW is waaaaaaaaaaay preferable to LAX.

Edited: 10 July 2012, 18:57
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best flight plan from Melbourne to Nassau

What are your thoughts on a flight from Sydney to Atlanta and then Nassau?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best flight plan from Melbourne to Nassau

I assume you are looking at a Delta flight which as far as i can see will stop in LAX. You will have to deplane , get your luggage take it through security, go through security again yourself and get on your next flight - so NO I would go with the QF flight which is non stop SYD to DFW.

Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best flight plan from Melbourne to Nassau

Thanks nozzie. Appreciate all the help