We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone flown Air New Zealand's "Space Seats?"

US
Level Contributor
6 posts
137 reviews
Has anyone flown Air New Zealand's "Space Seats?"

They looked wonderful on the website, but I see no comments here about them. Just curious. They appear to be on 777-300 flights.

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Has anyone flown Air New Zealand's "Space Seats?"

Yes, flew them last July LHR-LAX and return.

Day flights: excellent, great crew good food and even better wine. Cannot fault.

Night flight (return). This is when it fails a little. The seats do not recline, rather the seat base slides forward. this does not give a great sleeping position (essentially upright). The leg support is a beanbag which is fine for day flights, but insufficient for overnight.

Otherwise, there are positives. there is no-one reclining into your space. The entertainment is great, and as I mentioned the food and wine. It's a good compromise between Y and J class at a reasonable price.

Overall I liked it.

Bangkok, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,853 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: Has anyone flown Air New Zealand's "Space Seats?"

Hi,

A few threads (found in the larger Air Travel forum and not the smaller SeatGuru forum):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k6670779…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k4843241…

Travel Safe,

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,569 posts
304 reviews
3. Re: Has anyone flown Air New Zealand's "Space Seats?"

Hi

Yes, they are good for short daytime flights. I wouldn't want to fly in those seats longhaul at night.

Yes, they are only on the 777-300. The 200 series are being refurbished (at present PE is a nasty 3-3-3) but the space seats will not be repeated as apparently they took too much room for reduced revenue.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
32 reviews
4. Re: Has anyone flown Air New Zealand's "Space Seats?"

I've booked these seats for our flight - Auckland to Fiji - for our next trip. I'm considering upgrading to "The Works" package which includes food and drinks and looking for some info on what the food is like in premium economy? I presume it will be lunch given that the flight arrives in Nadi 1pm NZ time. Normally I wouldn't bother with food/drinks on a three hour flight but since we have managed to get these seats and we're flying on hubby's birthday I thought it might be worth doing.

Any info appreciated thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Has anyone flown Air New Zealand's "Space Seats?"

I personally wouldn't get the food - it is not worth the extra you pay - it was ordinary and very small

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
32 reviews
6. Re: Has anyone flown Air New Zealand's "Space Seats?"

Thanks Raalene, I won't bother in that case.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
57 reviews
7. Re: Has anyone flown Air New Zealand's "Space Seats?"

I thought the seats were great when I travelled a couple of years ago. I booked economy from Brisbane to LAX and upgraded on the 'one up' system on the outward journey. On the way back this was not offered so I paid to upgrade anyway. It made a massive difference to me and I actually slept for some of the journey. This year I booked the space seats outright. I think it's great value for money.

8. Re: Has anyone flown Air New Zealand's "Space Seats?"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 00:16
Get answers to your questions