We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forums design - post your ideas here

Newton...
Level Contributor
638 posts
Forums design - post your ideas here

Hello,

We'd love to hear your constructive feedback about the forums design. Please keep in mind our posting guidelines:

tripadvisor.com/help/what_are_the_guidelines…

Before you post, please visit the FAQ page we set up regarding the new design:

www.tripadvisor.com/help/Forums_design_faq

While we do understand that change can be difficult, we hope you will spend some quality time using the new design.

If you see any bugs, we'd love you to post about them here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12105-TripAdvi…

TA_Sara

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Forums design - post your ideas here

Hi, Sara--much better new format than the "old" new format!!

But, on the threads, it would be nice if the poster's name could be done in bold type...so far, that's the only thing I'm not crazy about!

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Forums design - post your ideas here

I'm sure I'll have more comments after spending time for the forum, but here are three things that "jump off the page". (note - all comments refer to the expanded view pages)

1. The new font is mush less readable than the old one. Can we get the old font back?

2. Please get rid of the "placeholder" avatar for those of us who don't have one. The placeholder is ugly and repetitive. Just have blank space.

3. Putting "Destination Expert" above their posts is horrible. It totally disrupts the flow on the conversations. Please put the designation back to the side.

One of the big changes you have made between the prior unpopular redesign and this one was getting rid of all the clutter between the posts. Thank you! But this is clutter too. Get rid of it.

4. As a positive, thank you for fixing the bug that starts a second page after 10 posts. It now correctly waits for the 11th. I know it's minor, but that used to really bug some of us.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
47,255 posts
288 reviews
3. Re: Forums design - post your ideas here

TA_Sara:

The link that you posted to report bugs is to the Support Forum. Are you planning to open a thread there for members to report bugs on the new forum design? Should I open a new thread for bugs? I'd like to report one. Thanks

Silvia

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
4. Re: Forums design - post your ideas here

I'll repeat a few of the things that has already been posted:

Make the poster's name bold. Also put an empty line between the avatar and the name.

Get rid of the automatically assigned avatars for people who don't have them. They are quite annoying and repetitive. They also lack character. It cheapens ours.

Put the Designated Expert title on the side where it used to be.

I would like to see more topics on the same page.

Otherwise, this version is easier to swallow than the last abomination.

PS. I leave my pages on expanded view all the time. I hope this feature doesn't "disappear" in the future.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
5. Re: Forums design - post your ideas here

I just noticed that if your name, under your avatar, is longer than 13 letters it gets abbreviated.

On the Cuba site, there is a member called "smallworldtraveller". the name is now abbreviated to "smallworldtra..."

This seems preety weird as the name of where he or she comes from is much longer and is ALL there.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k29820…

I would call that an annoying glitch. Does that mean there is a limit to the length of our name?

Hoosier
Level Contributor
703 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Forums design - post your ideas here

Adding the "by user name" below each topic makes it cluttered. Put the posters name to the side so the topics are quicker and easier to view and takes up less lines.

I do not care for the tall narrow design of the topic page and the threads. It just makes you have to scroll all the time. It may look pretty but it in not as user friendly.

The main thing I notice is you made more space for advertising. Maybe you should just have an add page people can visit?

I give you an A for effort but a D for function.

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3,542 posts
7. Re: Forums design - post your ideas here

Hey TA – I like it. I like the expand view – I can get rid of the DE listings and the view looks similar to the old one. Bigger avatars are nice – I can see everyone’s pictures.

Thank You.

8. Re: Forums design - post your ideas here

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 July 2009, 13:35
The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
9. Re: Forums design - post your ideas here

Given the fact that TA deletes posts more than 30 days old on the OTC forums, they have made finding the current active page on a long standing thread nearly IMPOSSIBLE!

And I'm sick to death of all these advertising pop-up windows and pop-behind ads for freaking airfare and and TA promotions. Will you just stop with stuff? It is beyond annoying and gets in the way.

Thank heavens I quit being a DE.

United States
Level Contributor
28,529 posts
22 reviews
10. Re: Forums design - post your ideas here

I think I like the new format so far.