We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TA Notices within forum posts

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
63,213 posts
78 reviews
TA Notices within forum posts

Hi

Whilst I appreciate that some users do not like the new advert placements within forum post I personally think they are OK and would like to see it extended to TA Notices

By TA Notices I mean a notices about forthcoming/new changes to TA or perhaps to make people aware new forums, features, etc

At present a lot of people just stumble across new forums or are not aware of certain features. One such notice could be about the expanded view within the new forum design

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
106,026 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: TA Notices within forum posts

Problem is with that, if I understand your proposal correctly, is that they will not create any revenue for TA, so I think it's a non starter.

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: TA Notices within forum posts

Hi FFM,

I'm afraid that I do find the ads in the middle of the posts in the thread inappropriate. There is plenty of free space on other parts of the page that could be used.

I find it astonishing that TA decided on this location when they received comments about other things splitting up the flow of reading through a thread. DEs insignia, repeated thread title, timestamp etc.

I understand that it is "prime real estate" but it appears to be annoying members rather than attracting them to click through to the advertiser.

Having them at the bottom of the thread might appease some.

With respect to your proposed TA notices I think that they may be met with the same reaction. However considering the relative importance of a TA announcement I would concede that it might be appropriate to insert it either before the OP or immediately below the OP before any subsequent posts. But these announcement should only be for current situations and removed when they timeout not left lying around like a sticky. Come to think about it is that not what a sticky is for. But nobody reads them do they.

Thinking on as I am replying here, would the forum index not be a better page for a TA notice as repetition on a thread may become a bit off putting and to much in your face.

So yes for TA notices but not in the middle of the thread.

David

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
63,213 posts
78 reviews
3. Re: TA Notices within forum posts

They would however make users more aware of certain new or existing feature which would help people use TA more effectively. They could also make users aware, as I have said, about new forums which would increase cyber traffic which is what it is all about

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
63,213 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: TA Notices within forum posts

David

I will admit that when I first saw the placement of the DE insignia it did look a bit odd but now I am used to it and it does not bother me one bit.

You have hit the nail on the head with forums being "prime real estate". When you say it appears to be annoying members rather than attracting them to click through to the advertiser - two things:

1. Many members are also not bothered about it

2. I am sure the advertisers are not expecting people to always click on the advert as part of it is name awareness and branding - afterall I have now seen a click button on the side of a bus and hoarding before

Yes, all TA notices would have to be current and they would not be left around as like the adverts they would move about

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
77 reviews
5. Re: TA Notices within forum posts

When I first read the OP I thought it was some sort of joke and was tempted to reply that it might be an idea to get rid of posts altogether and just have ads and notices.

However on reflection I agree there is a need to provide information to people about new forum (and I stress forum) initiatives. Putting yet more impedimenta into threads is not the answer though; there is way too much there already.

I would much prefer to see occasional emails or PMs which provided information to help people make better use of forums.

But knowing TA I’m afraid that any method used would not be restricted to helpful information about forums but would include spam encouraging people to do something that would generate more revenue, and that I would object to.

“increase cyber traffic which is what it is all about”

I completely disagree with that comment. What these forums should be all about is helping people get information to help them with their trips.

Michael

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
106,026 posts
57 reviews
6. Re: TA Notices within forum posts

flipflop_man:

Equally so many members ARE bothered about the ads. In fact, on balance, taking into accounts the threads on this, and the DE forum, it's fair to say that more members are annoyed with them than not.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
63,213 posts
78 reviews
7. Re: TA Notices within forum posts

Michael

"What these forums should be all about is helping people get information to help them with their trips"

I fully agree but if you but the information is only of use if people read it which is why cyber traffic is important

The post is a very serious proposition and not a joke - put information where people are reading/looking

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: TA Notices within forum posts

Putting aside the pros and cons about the adverts as they have been discussed elsewhere.

Do I recollect that the FAQ sections when populated may do away with the need for stickies as the information there would be moved to the FAQs.

Now with that space recovered then a frame to display TA notices at the top of the forum could be a compromise. This could even point people to the FAQs or display a new item when it has been added to the FAQs by way of an "alert".

David

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
63,213 posts
78 reviews
9. Re: TA Notices within forum posts

bellagio

IMHO what you see on forums is not always represenative of the overall community of users

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
77 reviews
10. Re: TA Notices within forum posts

FFM

“put information where people are reading/looking”

I think you are failing to recognise that information in the wrong place becomes noise which will hinder clarity of communication and probably annoy the receiver.

What we are talking about is how to give people access to information that may be of general use to them later. That is a sound idea, the question is how to do that without iinterfering with their getting the specific information they need at that particular time.

Put extraneous material (be it notices, ads or DE details) in what we might call the reading channel on a forum page and it becomes noise which degrades the signal of information in the thread.

Other ways mentioned above such as direct communication or making use of the space to the left of the thread would achieve your aim without distracting from the thread.

Michael