We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reviews posted on Forums

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
63,440 posts
75 reviews
Reviews posted on Forums

As this is happening more and more often now I think the it should be included as a category on the report inappropriate content dropdown list

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
1. Re: Reviews posted on Forums

I can see both sides to this FFM, on one hand you can't blame the users for being so frustrated that their reviews are taking forever to get posted and on the other hand it is a nightmare to see them all on the forums, and of course being on there they would not have gone through TA's screening process.

Having said that, i think temporarily a drop down reason would be a good solution. While they are at it, they could include one for Trollish Behaviour as i hear almost every day about some members DE's included that are leaving because there is nothing they can do about them. They write to TA but it seems no action is being taken, and with their not being a drop down reason befitting the comments/posts they don't get reported.

Just some ideas.

CB

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
63,440 posts
75 reviews
2. Re: Reviews posted on Forums

Or even if they included "other" in the drop down and when you clicked on it you would be given a text box to write in to explain what the troll or possible troll is up to

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: Reviews posted on Forums

I would welcome this. I find testimonials for guides particularly irksome.

CB makes an excellent point. There are too many examples of Trollish Behaviour, often by those who should know better but seem to get away with it without their posts being deleted.

Michael

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Reviews posted on Forums

Guys,

Are you including Trip Reports in this too.

Reviews / Trip Reports / Testimonials could be seen in the same light.

Do I remember a while back a suggestions about setting a flag against these threads / posts and they would be grouped so they could be ignored if you so wished or easily found if that's what you were after ?

David

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
106,241 posts
57 reviews
5. Re: Reviews posted on Forums

It's not an issue for me personally as I never read hotel reviews.

What most people give on my forum as the excuse for posting their review on the forum is the delay before it appears in the hotel section.

If TA decide to put it on the drop down list so be it, but I think there are more important issues that need to be dealt with first for example the bugs on the new format, the preview button, the return of the save button. etc.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
63,440 posts
75 reviews
6. Re: Reviews posted on Forums

What do you see as as Trip Report???

I was talking about people who short circuit the review verification process and post the review straight onto the forum

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
7. Re: Reviews posted on Forums

I think that the circumventing of the official review process is a serious issue, especially when you read all the hoteliers threads complaining about negative "bogus" reviews being placed. Can you imagine how many more complaints there would be if people were allowed to post their reviews "willy nilly" on the main forums without going through the vetting process?

A good idea re the drop down box, maybe you could type in the reason much in the same way that you can change the subject header in the contact mail via the help centre links.

Definately worth consideration i think.

CB

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: Reviews posted on Forums

A trip report would be along the lines of what was done day by day, visits made comments on how good or how bad it was, tips learned and general opinions.

Can contain comments about resorts, hotels, restaurants attractions, virtually everything that you encounter on a holiday.

David

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
5,625 posts
116 reviews
9. Re: Reviews posted on Forums

I like the TA Traveller list or Go list function for creating trip reports. It seems to be an under used feature of the site but is a good way of writing mini-reviews of places visited on a holiday with links to the main TA pages for each place.

The forums already make it easy to add the go-list link to a forum post

A couple of examples that I have created:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i11900-Porec_wi…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17273-A_wheely…

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
47,407 posts
288 reviews
10. Re: Reviews posted on Forums

I fully agree that a special button to report reviews on forums should be added at some point. I see people posting reviews on the forums with comments like I just submitted my review, here's a preview, or something like that. People are impatient and are circumventing the review process.

I report these posts now using the "Wrong Forum" option. TripAdvisor forum guidelines state clearly that the forums are not the place to post a review http://www.tripadvisor.com/help I fully agree with this. Reviews are vetted; forum posts are not. If a member does both but his/her review is not posted for not complying with the guidelines, then an identical copy of the rejected review stays on the forum. At the same time, a property owner cannot properly answer any issues raised on such posting.

Silvia

Get answers to your questions